High water white bass

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone been getting after the white bass on the river now? Been seeing them busting the surface on current seams from Osceola to Marine on St Croix. Typically in lower water level years they are moved down river by now towards the lake. When surface feeding they hit just about anything. My best lure so far has been small ice fishing spoons. Tie one of those on a long light rod with some 4# braid and it will cast a mile. Makes it easy to hit those active schools where ever they pop up.

Here is a photo of one of the spoons Ive been using. As always white seems to be a key color for white bass. Even caught a number of smallmouth with this spoon.

Attachments:
    1. 20190708_091516.jpg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Thanks for the tip Mike…I always have a smaller rod in my boat just collecting dust. Good idea! I was out on the lower end of Pepin sunday but only seen a few smaller schools. I’ll be ready next time!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I do like the spoon over a small jig and plastic. To many tail bighters on plastics and cant cast them as far especial if there is some wind. Haven’t played around much with different spoons yet. White did work better than the gold colored one. Not sure what different sizes would do or lighter spoons with slower retrieves. Looking forward to playing around with them.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have always had good luck with small lipless crank baits. I will have to give a small spoon a try next time.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Hit the white bass on the croix again this evening. They have been going for a number of weeks now. Very early morning or late evening is best. Look for them busting surface on current seams. Not hardly worth casting until one hits the surface. Tonight started to see a few smallmouth mixed in with them. Typically that is a sign they are going to move down river. Some pretty brutal hits still on ice fishing spoons. What ever hit this one had me thinking of loading the boat up.

Attachments:
    1. 20200603_211239.jpg

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Whoa…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.