High-Water Walleye

• Jeff Fitzpatrick

Looking at the river forecast, water level will be up 2 ft from last weekend and the current will have nearly doubled. How do walleyes react to conditions like this in cold water?? Do fish relocate to side channels/backwaters, do they move shallower/deeper, or do they just re-position on main river structure? Looking to put together a strategy for these unusual November conditions.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I would definitely try to get out of the current somewhat. Either by going to the bank or the back cuts. But you would also be amazed on how much current those walleyes and saugers will put up with. waytogo

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

X2 Glenn-d

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was out yesterday. What a mess up here on pool 2. Logs, crap and even trees floating down river. Water clarity was very poor for this time of year but could still see about a foot deep. A few fish where still biting but it was a mater of finding them. I kept looking towards shore and current seams. Stopped at many spots that are typically almost no flow and a lot of them had to much current. Jigs where getting swept off the spots pretty fast. Did manage to connect with 5 walleyes. Missed about that many more. Every one was with in casting distance of shore. Even with the bite being slow it was still good to feel them crush those plastics. Slowing down the retrieve on the jigs seemed to help a little also. Had a few fish hit while dead sticking the plastic out behind the boat and letting it flutter in the current.

shockers
    Rochester

I ventured out on Pool 4 yesterday afternoon (11/20) for a few hours.

Water is definitely up and there’s more flow. And it’s muddy (but not terrible).

43 degree water temp

Tried near dam for a couple hours. Nothing. Even up shallow.

Moved downstream a bit and tried shallow again. Found 2 nice eyes and lost another.

8 feet. Silver jig/minnow.

Tied hair jigs but no luck.

Good luck!

wicathunter11
    Ferryville WI

Down here on pool 9 I’ve been doing better in the cuts and sloughs. 8-10 ft 12 at the deepest dragging plastics. Anything deeper or in the main channel I’ve only caught sauger.

hnd

we’ve been fishing the same spots we usually fish and finding them down here on the ill/ia pools.

Jeff Fitzpatrick

Made it out for a few hours yesterday – caught one decent walleye dragging plastic on a current seam in 8 fow. Pool 2 was high, fast, dirty and cold (39 degrees). Time to start thinking about ice fishing, I guess!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.