High $ Musky / Pike baits – Worth it ?

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

It could be expensive, but not for me. I run a simple 16′ tiller, basic 12v bow mount and a simple 2d helix unit. A couple of combos that maybe cost $250 each, and a handful of inexpensive bucktails, livingston and llungen cranks, and maybe a medussa in the fall. I am happy with the number and size of skis I catch and am not into it for much money at all.

I started off simple. The more I did, the more I bought. At one point I was going out 5-7 days a week and spent more time on the water chasing muskies than at work or home. Made it easy to justify the cost of buying custom rods. Those rods made it easier to be out longer. (less fatigue and soreness) One develops a hell of a collection in their lifetime. My favorite musky rod might be down to costing me $0.05 a cast by now when you divide the number of casts over the cost of the rod.

tswoboda

I started off simple. The more I did, the more I bought. At one point I was going out 5-7 days a week and spent more time on the water chasing muskies than at work or home. Made it easy to justify the cost of buying custom rods. Those rods made it easier to be out longer. (less fatigue and soreness) One develops a hell of a collection in their lifetime.

I also had a few summers pre-kids where I was chasing muskies almost daily and I was the exact opposite… the more I fished, the more I caught, the less lures I bought. Rods/reels sure… simply because they broke. But it’s the times when I couldn’t get on the water to pattern fish that I ended up buying more baits, simply because I was frustrated and dumb enough to think not having a magic bait was why I was catching less fish. But reality was I just wasn’t on the water enough or smart enough to figure out when and where the best bite was.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>
    I started off simple. The more I did, the more I bought. At one point I was going out 5-7 days a week and spent more time on the water chasing <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>muskies than at work or home. Made it easy to justify the cost of buying custom rods. Those rods made it easier to be out longer. (less fatigue and soreness) One develops a hell of a collection in their lifetime.

I also had a few summers pre-kids where I was chasing <em class=”ido-tag-em”>muskies almost daily and I was the exact opposite… the more I fished, the more I caught, the less lures I bought. Rods/reels sure… simply because they broke. But it’s the times when I couldn’t get on the water to pattern fish that I ended up buying more baits, simply because I was frustrated and dumb enough to think not having a magic bait was why I was catching less fish. But reality was I just wasn’t on the water enough to know when and where the best bite was.

I agree with this 100%. I have a small box that holds maybe 30 lures. If theres stuff i dont throw i end up selling it and buying new. Helps me limit my cost in lures. All you need are a handful of different types of lures and maybe a natural color and a bright color of each type. Money sunk into rods/reels is way more effective to help keep you on the water longer.

CaptainMusky

The simple baits are tried and true, you dont need these stupid expensive lures to catch muskies just know how and when to use them and perfect it. Ive caught probably 90% of my muskies on 3 baits. Most dont have hardly any hair left on them.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

The simple baits are tried and true, you dont need these stupid expensive lures to catch muskies just know how and when to use them and perfect it. Ive caught probably 90% of my muskies on 3 baits. Most dont have hardly any hair left on them.

With unpressured fish I agree. But 10 years ago a buddy and I used to be able to have three fish days burning bucktails pretty regularly in the metro. Thats not the case anymore as they see so many lures day in and day out. I was fishing the front of the boat with a suick a couple years ago and my buddy in the back had a barfighter on and he boated two to my zero in the metro. Very similar lures just a slight difference in action.

CaptainMusky

Its quite common to have the front caster get the fish interested and the back one get the luck. Switch spots next time with the same lures and see what happens.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

With unpressured fish I agree. But 10 years ago a buddy and I used to be able to have three fish days burning bucktails pretty regularly in the metro. Thats not the case anymore as they see so many lures day in and day out. I was fishing the front of the boat with a suick a couple years ago and my buddy in the back had a barfighter on and he boated two to my zero in the metro. Very similar lures just a slight difference in action.

My guess is Metro fish see more lures in a week than the Fish I fish for in Canada see in their entire life. I already have a ton of money invested in lures. Just didn’t know if there was anything special to some of the High $ one. For my purpose probably not. I can probably get 7 Suicks or phantoms for the cost of one Barfighter. Probably better money spent.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

When I get a follow, I always make my next cast with another pre-rigged lure. Doesn’t always work but I think something different other than the lure they just followed has a higher chance of making a fish strike. My follow up lure is usually something like a slash bait or plastic.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Its quite common to have the front caster get the fish interested and the back one get the luck. Switch spots next time with the same lures and see what happens.

That may be on Musky, but not most other fish. Most often the 1st lure put in front of a fish will be the one to get bit. I know many Am’s who would probably out fish the pro partner if they were fishing from the Front of the boat in Bass tourneys.

tswoboda

I was fishing the front of the boat with a suick a couple years ago and my buddy in the back had a barfighter on and he boated two to my zero in the metro. Very similar lures just a slight difference in action.

So based on that one day and two fish barfighters are better than suicks?

Spring trolling we generally run 3 lines starting with 1 matlock, 1 headlock, and then mix in a old school bait grandma/jake/believer/slammer/super shad/etc. on the 3rd line. One day trolling this year we went 5/7 will all 7 rips on grandmas or slammers and not a sniff on the supernaturals. Does that mean they are worse?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Spring trolling we generally run 3 lines starting with 1 matlock, 1 headlock, and then mix in a old school bait grandma/jake/believer/slammer/super shad/etc. on the 3rd line. One day trolling this year we went 5/7 will all 7 rips on grandmas or slammers and not a sniff on the supernaturals. Does that mean they are worse?

I don’t troll often. But when I do this it the exact same way I start and have had the same thing happen. toast

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Youbetcha wrote:</div>
    I was fishing the front of the boat with a suick a couple years ago and my buddy in the back had a barfighter on and he boated two to my zero in the metro. Very similar lures just a slight difference in action.

So based on that one day and two fish barfighters are better than suicks?

I dont think they are worse at all. I never troll for muskys so I couldnt tell you about that. My opinion is metro fish see 100 suicks to 1 barfighter. Odds are you will get more interest in the barfighter. Or whatever different dive and rise you like to throw. Not that its better. Just different than what they normally see.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

the idea of being “worth it” is very subjective.

do they do something that’s so different than less expensive versions? no.
    do they catch more fish because they cost more than a similar lure? no.
    is it worth supporting small basement bait builders? yes.

innovation comes from these craftsman much more so than larger companies who tend to chase the trends. this year’s two “hot” releases are both copies of baits made and proven by others – the 4-tail bulldawg is essentially a medussa, and the livingston tubebait is just a knockoff of the red october. the super hot bucktails over the years have all just been…bucktails.

if it’s within your budget, supporting craftsman is a choice that’s more about the art and artist than it is about finding a “magic” lure. it’s like buying jeans made in the USA, same pants at triple the price, but might be worth it to you. if a particular lure is outside your budget, find the similar bait that doesn’t cost so much and fish it with confidence.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I don’t see myself spending 200 bucks for a lure. I bought my first 2 Matlocks this past summer at a garage sale for 45 each. Not sure I have an appetite for too many baits over 50 bucks. I’ve lost a few big rubber bait fishing vermilion in the fall. Talk about going from a hero (when the rock hits) to a zero (after a losing a 5 minute tug of war). I also troll a fair amount and have had more than one snag eat my lure.

Jimmy Jones

I lost a bucktail one morning on Bald Eagle. The snap broke on the leader. That bucktail just kept going, and going, and going right over the horizon. NASA called me later that week to help identify whatever it was that had just entered orbit.

SR

Years ago I had a similar experience with a two piece rod when the line got wrapped around the tip. Walleye fishing. Red Wing. I can still see that rod tip and jig sailing thru the air until I lost sight of it. Oh, what a feeling. lol

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.