High flow – battery tip

• Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

I just wanted to pass on a tip, that I have got a lot more miles out of my trolling motor batteries these last few years by on a regular basis checking the water level in my deep cells. I added water three weeks ago and yesterday needed to add more. Not a lot but some.

Honestly in the past I’d check the water levels about two – three months and every other cell would be low – slow learner i guess!!

I like the water level to cover the cell plate by i’d guess an 1/8 to 1/4″. Do not fill to the top!

Your standard 27 size will hold up very well by giving them love and adding distilled water, so you won’t need those 300.00 batteries, more power to ya if you got those gells.

Have a good week.
    Turk

buschman
    Pool 2

This is a good reminder.. Wear glasses also. Don’t want that stuff in your eyes. It is best to add water after fully charging. The level will rise at full charge. But like Charlie said.. if you just go over your plates by 1/8 inch or so before charging you will be fine. Must use distilled water to those that do not know. Spring water carries minerals that will build up on your lead plates and reduces the life of your battery. This is one of the easiest maintenance schedules that anyone can do but gets overlooked by many. Also do not store them in your boat over the winter. Keep them above freezing in a heated garage or basement of your house and keep them elevated off the concrete floor. I use cut blocks of 2×8’s and keep them in my work shop.

tangler
    Inactive

Thanks for the pointer. I’ll admit I’ve had my battery 3 years and have probably only added water once after the battery had been knocked over.

tim hurley

I store mine in my boat out in the cold, dealership said that would be fine, no problems so far (fully charged when i store) anyone else do it this way?

fishingchallenged

I store mine in the boat, unheated barn. I do keep the on board charger plugged in all winter.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Mine is stored in an unheated building. I make sure the water level is ok and the batteries are fully charged. Then I disconnect all the cables to prevent any discharge during storage. Here’s 5 years of voltage readings when put in storage and when taken out of storage.

Attachments:
    1. Batt-voltage.jpg

tim hurley

Nice post Ron-facts for a change! Now we need you to work for our local news stations who can’t seem to give you the most basic facts on anything! (ok-off topic mini rant)
    Ron also fishes into November and pulls it out in April! Just like me.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Ron also fishes into November and pulls it out in April! Just like me.

I never pull out.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

,,,,,,,, keep them elevated off the concrete floor.

Bushman,
    Why do you recommend elevating them off the concrete floor? Are you still using batteries made with 1940’s technology?
    Some current info that may bring you into 2019
    battery storagebattery storagebattery storage

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

lol

buschman
    Pool 2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buschman wrote:</div>
    ,,,,,,,, keep them elevated off the concrete floor.

I do… Fleet Farm specials size 27’s. When I was a young kid I would get an ear full if we didn’t have a board under those batteries in the garage when I used the batteries up north. Put it back where and how you found it was the deal and don’t ask questions.. haha.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

This was a good reminder. Between the cranking battery and 3 for the trolling motor they took almost a gallon in total.

Batteries are all less than a year old, too.

Getting at the batteries in the front of the Reata is no easy task…..

Karry Kyllo

That’s alot of water to top off your batteries. Were your batteries holding charges OK?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

That’s alot of water to top off your batteries. Were your batteries holding charges OK?

Hold a charge great. The TM batteries get a workout on the river so I wasn’t that surprised. Probably averaged 3 cups a battery which is only a few ounces per cell across 4 batteries.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.