High End Rods?

• Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

I like to fish good gear. The “lower end” of my rods is the avid line and Fenwick EliteTech Walleye rods. That said, I think the highest priced rods only make sense for certain techniques.

My elitetechs are awesome for lindy, live bait rigging, whereas I wouldn’t like to use my St Croix legend extreme for that. Same length rod, similar specs… but the st croix scV blank is significantly stiffer and I really prefer it for more direct presentations: jigging, live bait rigging.

So is the legend extreme worth the money? For me, sure… but I’m ok with paying for a rod that is specialized for certain scenarios. You might be different.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I see an opportunity for a open water version of a “spring bobber” for vertical jigging…. or does it already exist ? Turn a seal club into a finesse jigging rod peace

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I see an opportunity for a open water version of a “spring bobber” for vertical jigging…. or does it already exist ? Turn a seal club into a finesse jigging rod

You should keep that idea to yourself. I have one I made ready to test out. If I don’t like it I will just redo the top guide. It is on a ML action rod.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Problem with spring bobbers is it takes most the feel away from the rod…and not to mention it’ll be great to watch that tip while drifting in 1-2′ waves!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I imagine those waves will affect any high end rod in the same way. grin

Gary Korsgaden
    NULL

I really like Steve Fellegy’s article and am a high end rod guy with some presentations and others mid-low range. Let me share a couple of examples:

Nightcrawlers and leeches live bait rigging: one of my favorites is a 9′ Sage custom fly rod blank with a Tennessee Cork handle, which allows me to balance my reel on the rod. The action is moderate, which is perfect as the pick up is realized with a dip-bow in the rod tip, the reel in a closed bail position. When the bait is picked up I drop back then pull back to set the hook. Due to the moderate action at the pick up the fish never feels it. Again I fish closed bail with these baits. Open bail my experience the fish will feel when the finger lets the line go and drop before the hook set in small salmon egg style hooks

Minnows live bait rigging I like a 7’0″ to 7′ 6″ medium light extra fast action. A high end rod like a St. Croix Avid-Elite. I feel putting that tip out there it helps to have a extra-fast action to feel the minnow, a bite and get a good hook set.

Jigging Raps: I like a 6’9″ to 7′ rod medium light extra fast action. Allows for a good snap on the rap and hook set and feel.

The high end St. Croix Rods like 8’6″ walleye tournament series weighs 3.11 ounces compared to the same low end rods which weigh in at 7.1-8.0 ounces. Light weight rods balance very well, have less fatigue on the hands, wrists and are more sensitive.

Trolling crankbaits and spinners less expensive rods works well, the bite is detected by the dip-bend in the rod. Actually prefer telescoping rods.

I side drift steelhead on the Northshore, I like to have both feel of a medium light extra-fast action tip and the tip that dip or bows to the bite. So a more expensive rod is my choice

For trolling suspend walleyes during the cisco bite I like 12-14′ rods, these range in price of $50.00 to $75.00 and the bite is detected by the tip bowing back, the rods are in holders. Spread the baits without the use of planer boards.

A rod worth a look is the Thorne’s Elliot Rods. The synthetic rod handle and light blank and Thornes’s ability to balance a rod so well and use even lighter blanks then St. Croix is a plus. Some of these models weight less then three ounces.

One more point about long rods 7′-6′ to 9′, they add sport, forgiving and while cumbersome at times I like to for back trolling. Particularly when working around a fishing partner in the seat towards the bow on turns. I feel a longer rod can be a advantage on the clear water lakes I fish and fish light pound test lines such as 4#-6#. Casting leeches for example, easy with a soft swing, rarely flip the bait off the hook.

Landing fish with 8′ or longer rods, do what fly fisherman do. Simple pull the rod straight up and back the fish will end up just below in range of short handled net. Ever see a stream steelhead fisherman with a long handle net? Watch them net a fish with their long rods, will see what I mean

Last point my reels, do not weigh over 5 ounces, wider spools for casting or when quicker line pick up is desired and narrow spools for the live bait rigging rods.

Thanks for reading…

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I imagine those waves will affect any high end rod in the same way. grin

Exactly, that’s why you go by feel. Spring bobbers are made to visually see a bite, not feel them. But I’d love to see this end product. Go for it!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I see an opportunity for a open water version of a “spring bobber” for vertical jigging…. or does it already exist ? Turn a seal club into a finesse jigging rod peace

Diawa used to make one high end version that costs in the range of $500.

K&E Whip’R rods, economical rods are around $80 or so if I remember right.

TOM

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

Diawa used to make one high end version that costs in the range of $500.

Yes, If the price is right I would be willing to let it go.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.