High End Rods?

• Spencer Koch

I own a St. Croix Avid and a St. Croix Avid X, and I’ve been looking at going up to a St. Croix Legend Elite or a G Loomis NRX. My question is, is it worth it to splash the cash, or are the differences minimal?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Spencer
    Its worth it only when there is value in what you want to achieve. Obviously there is something “more” that you want if your considering going up in quality. So what is it that you feel your current rods are lacking in or that you want different?? Higher end rods may not be the silver bullet if your not matching your rod to your needs.

As an example, it is common for me to be on water for 12 to 18 hours at a time casting cranks. So besides the action and feel of the rod, weight is a HUGE factor. Its worth the weight difference in gold to me to drop grams from a rod to prevent or prolong fatigue. When Im working blade baits, I want a very specific tip action and length rod in addition to weight reduction. So my blade rods are a big investment since they are used frequently.

Within my bass rods I needed a few rods that needed to have a “sweet spot” in the backbone. I wanted them to load up easily for small cranks or swimjigs for casting and still have a solid backbone for hooksets at long distances.

So, back to your question, what specifically do you want in performance out of a rod?

Deuces

^^^^ agreed

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

End thread. Randy wins.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Randy makes some great points. The other thing I would add is the rod needs to be balanced out right. If the rod is perfectly balanced it will feel lighter than a lighter rod that is not balanced. It will have less strain on your wrist and be more comfortable fishing with all day.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I also completely agree but would like to add a few things IMO…

Going from an el’cheapo rod to an expensive rod is night and day difference (generally speaking). However, going from an expensive rod to a really expensive rod I’ve noticed doesn’t have as big of change…but, like Randy mentioned, maybe those few extra grams are worth it for your type of fishing.

Also, sometimes when you buy an expensive rod, you are paying more for the warranty (lifetime) then the quality of a rod. Don’t over look buying a blank and building your own as well. If you like St. Croix, buy a blank for quite a bit less and build one, and your buddy one! (It’s been about 10-15 years since I built a croix rod so maybe this has changed.)

zooks

Randy makes some great points. The other thing I would add is the rod needs to be balanced out right. If the rod is perfectly balanced it will feel lighter than a lighter rod that is not balanced. It will have less strain on your wrist and be more comfortable fishing with all day.

Underrated point – I have an Eyecon rigging rod that I put a 1000 size Shimano on it and I hated using it, was very tip heavy and caused fatigue pretty quickly. I then switched a heavier 1500 Daiwa on it and voila!, the rod balanced out and I can fish it all day.

Otherwise you really can’t beat Randy’s reply, it hits all the right topics.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

A person doesn’t know how many light bites they’ve missed until they’ve used a high end graphite.

So I’ve been told.

critter 1

The avid is already a nice rod, I don’t think you will notice a big difference, spend the money on a couple more avids in different actions or lengths, ive used both and own alot of avids.

Deuces

Consider me not an avid fan. We all fish different and have different shoulder, arm, elbow, wrist, structure. Don’t get caught up on brands and more feels. Pick up all of them and you might be surprised what you like.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

It’s been about 10-15 years since I built a croix rod so maybe this has changed

St. Croix no longer sells their blanks. But there are other options that are very close to it.

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I purchased my first NRX last year. That was not a smart thing to do. Now I want more! It is the best feeling rod I have ever fished with! I just smile thinking about it!! With that said, I think it really depends how you fish. I love to jig (jigs, rippen raps, shiver minnows). That is one technique that can be GREATLY improved with a higher end more sensative rod. Any type of finesse application benefits from extra sensitivity. If you are more of a power fishing guy then the sensitivity is not really your main focus, but like Randy said fishing all day long with a higher end “lightweight” rod is much more enjoyable and less fatiguing! My recommendation, go to the NW Sportshow and get yourself a NRX. It will be the lowest pricing you can find! You wont regret it!

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

^^ I second walleye1274! Now I own three NRX and even my wife enjoys using her NRX waytogo . Walleye, bass, panfish, etc. It is light, sensitive and strong. Definitely cannot beat the deals at the Sportshow, 25-30% off.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

As Randy has said it depends on what you want out of your rod. Actions are very different between rod builders a MLXF is not the same brand to brand. I have StCroix Legend Elites I had a NRX 802C which was way stiffer in the tip and would not handle 1/16 ounce baits very well so I sold it and tried a Kistler Helium 3 MLXF the difference was night and day the Kistler handles the lighter 1/16 much much better using a Core 50 MG7 on both rods..

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I purchased my first NRX last year. That was not a smart thing to do. Now I want more! It is the best feeling rod I have ever fished with! I just smile thinking about it!! With that said, I think it really depends how you fish. I love to jig (jigs, rippen raps, shiver minnows). That is one technique that can be GREATLY improved with a higher end more sensative rod. Any type of finesse application benefits from extra sensitivity. If you are more of a power fishing guy then the sensitivity is not really your main focus, but like Randy said fishing all day long with a higher end “lightweight” rod is much more enjoyable and less fatiguing! My recommendation, go to the NW Sportshow and get yourself a NRX. It will be the lowest pricing you can find! You wont regret it!

I think pairing a reel is important with a vertical jigging rod, especially if you are fishing big water/out of a boat with high sides.

Line plays a huge role though. If you are straight up vertical jigging with braided line, then I really don’t think you are going to feel any more bites with a super high end rod vs. a $100-$150 rod.

The experience will be much different though, I know I love the ‘feel’ of a high end rod, but sometimes it doesn’t translate to more fish.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I went from avids to legend series and nrx spinning rods a few years ago. They are hands down better in every way. If you fish alot and enjoy nice gear then go for it. Keep your eyes open for used rods. You can usually find those for 2-300, people who buy them new generally take care of them.

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>walleye1274 wrote:</div>

I think pairing a reel is important with a vertical jigging rod, especially if you are fishing big water/out of a boat with high sides.

Line plays a huge role though. If you are straight up vertical jigging with braided line, then I really don’t think you are going to feel any more bites with a super high end rod vs. a $100-$150 rod.

The experience will be much different though, I know I love the ‘feel’ of a high end rod, but sometimes it doesn’t translate to more fish.

Totally agree on a truly vertical presentation, but I am not a big fan of vertical jigging if I don’t have to!

Deuces

I have nothing to add, rather just inject my own personal exuberance over the fact we are talking about open water rods again!! yay

tucrs
    NW Metro

I think they are just for exactly what Randy said.
    But like anything at some point it is a game of diminishing returns.

$1000 rod out perform a $300 stick. Not as much as a $300 stock will outperform a $100 rod.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I was in the camp of b stock Avids were great ! Until a friend convinced me to buy an Elite 7′ 6″MLF / {2} 7′ Med . They are the unparalleled for sensitivity , feel bites , feel weeds, etc i was not a believer before ,now i am .

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

I like high end rods and buddy likes to give me grief about them, but when I ask about his $180/month chew habit he changes the subject quickly.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bob clowncolor wrote:</div>
    It’s been about 10-15 years since I built a croix rod so maybe this has changed

St. Croix no longer sells their blanks. But there are other options that are very close to it.

st croix is selling their blanks through RodGeeks I beleive. but not as huge of a selection

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

St Croix does not warranty any blanks period…just stock rods. Rod Geek has to warranty those blanks with their own Rod Geek warranty…

BTW there is a super Legend Elite ES 610 MLXF deal on the classifieds that IS backed by St Croix…With an upgrade on the factory guide set… wink

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I have been using GLommis IMX SJR rods for over 20 years. I tried a GLX and it wasn’t worth another $100 IMHO
    I have used their Xpeditor service in the past but it was only $50 to have a new rod shipped second day air

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have an Avid 6ft 3in ML XF that was my go-to vertical jigging rod about 10yrs ago. I have since tried the Legend Tourny and also a few from TUCR and JT Custom that were within $100 of the Avid cost now and now that Avid has become my panfish rod….

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I echo Randy’s sentiments… There are too many factors for an easy answer and it would be subjective because of different styles etc…
    There is no magic rod…but if you value your time on hand with CONTACT presentations for subtle bites on jigs/plastics…there is where acute sensitivity is a big factor… The years I was a Pro staffer with IDO gave me the ability to upgrade from Premiers to Avids to Legends etc… The time on the water, electronics, and sharing with fellow guides gave me technique and knowledge.
    High end rods , line and reels gave me better tools. Buy the best equipment you can afford, always look to learn something on every trip and you will be more successful.

Attachments:
    1. 6615_1089277876934_1946409_n.jpg

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

It would only be fair to compare two rods of near identical set ups and then come to a conclusion afterwards. I was one of those person who didn’t believe in the merits of a higher end rod. I had owned a St. Croix Premiere 6′ L and used that for a variety of things. It was years later that I finally splurge for a Legend Elite in an identical 6′ L and had to compare them side by side.

I was very used to using the Premiere. Weight in comparison the two rods didn’t feel much of any difference. However when it came to finessing lures the Legend Elite had a slight advantage in lure action transfer. It was just so subtle. When hooked up with fish, the Legend Elite also had a slight more feel and a slight more stiffness to it as well. Both rods being very like each other still. I will say that there is a feel that the Legend Elite gives me when my lures have some grass or weed caught on the line or the hook of the lure.

Even after all, I still enjoy fishing with an Ugly Stick every now and then. I reckon it’s all about enjoying the time with the tools.

toddrun

I like Steve Fellegy’s take on this subject. I will say I own, St. Croix and G-Loomis Walleye rods, and they are nice. But my wife found some lower end, good rods, with a Walleye Pro’s name on them, on Craigslist last year new in the wrapper for $25 each, and I bought 4 of them so I had rods for friends to use in my boat. By the end of the year, I was using those cheaper rods over the expensive ones every outing. And I think it is more the fact that I matched the right reel with those rods, so they are perfectly balanced. They are still IM7 rods, so have some quality, but retail priced they are half of the high end rods, and still have a lifetime warranty. I know where my next rods will come from.

Kind of like the first time a friend took me to Mille Lacs to fish opener. I had never really Lindy rigged for Walleye before. So he gave me the University talk. Have to have a good sensitive rod, have to use braid with a floro leader that had to be at least 8′ long. If you feel a tap, strip line, let it come tight and if there is weight, set the hook with a sweeping motion. Well, get the feel of it, and caught fish. But, his other buddy, sitting at the front of the boat, had an old fiberglass rod with a bass reel on it, he would bait it up, throw it out, put his rod on the floor and zip up like a cocoon until he saw his rod bend, then pick it up and reel in the fish. He out fished the both of us.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.