Hi ! I need advice for fishing gear setup for Pike & trout!

• Odessit86

Hi! I am new here .. I am want to ask advice for pike & trout fishing..also other fish ..
    What kind rod , reel , line do I need for general fishing that can handle all this species ???
    Rod medium heavy , fast action ?
    Reel baitcast ?
    Line about 25 lb ?
    Is this good setup?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Welcome to In-Depth

A 7′ medium heavy baitcaster spooled with 17 lb either mono or braid will handle anything in Minnesota except maybe Catfish & Sturgeon.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Where are you? Which species of trout? Lakers?

Best generic advice that took me too many years to learn. Used to buy rods for fish species. Now I know it’s about matching rods to lure weights.

Pike examples:
    3/8 spinnerbaits up to 3/4 oz spoons/jigs = Med Heavy spinning rod, 40 series reel. I like 12# mono but most people prefer braids

3/4oz up to 1.5oz spoons/bucktails = Med Heavy baitcasting setup and matching reel. Again, I like 20# mono but in the minority

Larger than 1.5oz lures = musky gear territory

Odessit86

I am living in New York state..
    Ithaca region ..Fingers Lakes ..
    I just don’t know what reel to buy ? Spinning or Baitcasting reel but i would want to use for lures .. not for live worm fishing ..and what model and brand ????.
    And can i use wire leader ? Some say it will spook Pike some say it will not and boats do not spook pike ..
    Or should I use braided line and attach Fluoro line to it?
    Budget is 300$ for Rod and Reel

Odessit86

And can use just Fluoro line for fishing?
    Why people using braided if it’s visible ..
    Why not just use Fluoro line ?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Braid works. Mono works. Floro works. Line visibility isn’t a concern. I would definitely use a steel leader with the price of spoons. They don’t affect the action of the lure. Pike don’t spook. They are a killing machine and if feeding will not be scared off.

Abu Garcia makes a decent reel in the 4600 model that won’t break the bank. My suggestions are mainly for Pike. You will want to beef things up if your target is Muskie all the time.

Brad Dimond

Add a St. Croix Premier 6’6″ M/H Fast action rod to the reel Dutchboy suggested and you have a winning combination that fits your budget.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I just don’t know what reel to buy ? Spinning or Baitcasting reel but i would want to use for lures .. not for live worm fishing ..and what model and brand ????.
    And can i use wire leader ? Some say it will spook Pike some say it will not and boats do not spook pike ..

Yes to wire leader, just do it.

I’ll give you two setup options with specifics and under budget

Lighter setup and more versatile. This is much better for lighter spinnerbaits and more importantly crank baits in the 1/2 to 5/8oz range. This is probably the better one for starting out for location and trout crossover.
    St. Croix Premier 6’6″ M/H Fast action Spinning rod. Pair with a Pflueger President 40 series(30 series in other brands)

Heavier setup, can run bucktails but good luck throwing cranks(Rapalas) into the wind crazy
    St. Croix Premier 6’6″ M/H Fast action baitcasting rod. Pair with an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5500/6500. (I like 6500 but personal preference)

Variant – move up to 7′ rod

I run almost everything in my tacklebox for a week long Canadian pike trip on these two setups. My premier spinning rod is 15 years old and still love it! Started out with a cheap casting rod and upgraded to the premier 6 years back.

Odessit86

but St. Croix Premier 6’6″ M/H has only 17 lb max line weight ..it seems not enough.. for pike needs like 20- 30 lb line …
    Only XH and H has 20 and 25 lb weight line ..
    Can i use a 25 lb line in rod ..that says it for 17 lb line ?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Speaking of trolling.

You won’t be catching any 20-30 lb Pike in NY. Learn how to set the drag on the reel, you will be fine.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Can i use a 25 lb line in rod ..that says it for 17 lb line ?

x2 with what Dutchboy said. He’s a troller and I’m a casting guy but we’re almost always on the same page for pike gear. My fishing partner has 40+ years of Canadian pike and also runs these same setups.

Line, You can use whatever you feel like. Don’t get wrapped up in this stat. Match line diameter to the reel. Meaning braid can be higher test but match the equivalent mono diameter.

I know it’s not NY but these videos are helpful. You can see what they use for setups. Notice they’re predominantly on spinning gear so they can throw lighter stick baits. There’s another vid I couldn’t find where they need baitcasterss to throw Super Bou bucktails on lake of the woods.

Post Spawn Pike IDO Season 10
    Stickbaits for ice out pike season 3 episode 7
    Rapalas for Super-Size Shallow, Spring Pike IDO Season 7 episode 15

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.