HF 2890 Red Flag and Firearms Transfer

• Riverrat

At 10:30 today the MN Public Safety Committee will hear on bill 2890. This Public Safety bill has red flag and firearms transfer language all up in it. My question is why will the state require that a federal or state Id is used in transfer of a firearm even to private parties. The ATF requires a current state issued photo ID and doesn’t accept federal Ids including passports. Its bad enough they are writing the bill do they have to be stupid too?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The funny part is that they want to require a ID to purchase a firearm, but then declare its unconstitutional to require one to vote. Welcome to life in the new USA. On a side note. I have no problem with a photo ID being needed to purchase a Firearm, Rather that be from a FFL dealer or a private party. I also don’t have a problem with some of the red flag laws they want, Note I said some. To be honest I don’t think more gun laws are going to help much if any. They already don’t enforce the ones they have now. In addition Criminals don’t care about Laws. They don’t follow them, that’s why they are criminals.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I see this transfer only affecting new guns purchased after the law goes into affect. With any private transaction of [weapons purchased before the law], you can just say you sold them between the time you purchased and when the law went into effect.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Also a “high capacity magazine ban” looks like anything over 10 for rifles and 15 for handguns. It is interesting for the red flag law it does not list who could petition for one. Any member of the public? Or some kind of family only?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Can someone post the bill in its current form? I can’t even find it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That link doesn’t take me anywhere. There’s no bill. Unless I am missing something.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Isn’t this a political post?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Thanks. Jeez that thing is long.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carter Johnson wrote:</div>
    15 for handguns

Funny the number they chose is 2 below the most popular size mag out there.

That’s because they are filthy commie scum. mrgreen

duh queen

Yoose guys, everyone from MN, needs to contact their state reps and point out, SPECIFICALLY, how these laws violate the 2nd Amendment, and even worse, the 4th Amendment’s guarantee to due process. I seriously doubt that most reps have even read the Constitution in its entirety. How else does one explain their gross disregard for it…..unless it’s a willful. CALL, CALL, CALL and make your voice heard!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Yoose guys, everyone from MN, needs to contact their state reps and point out, SPECIFICALLY, how these laws violate the 2nd Amendment, and even worse, the 4th Amendment’s guarantee to due process. I seriously doubt that most reps have even read the Constitution in its entirety. How else does one explain their gross disregard for it…..unless it’s a willful. CALL, CALL, CALL and make your voice heard!

I looked up my state representatives. Pretty sure they aren’t helping me…….

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I looked up my state representatives. Pretty sure they aren’t helping me…

Sadly that is the case in a lot of situations. I would still make a call or send a letter. They have no way of knowing if you voted for them or not.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I just sent off a Email to my State Rep. ( Tom Emmer ) in the past he’s been a big supporter of gun rights. I let my feeling to him be known.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Portions of this bill has passed both the MN Senate and MN House of Representatives as a part of the Public Safety and Judiciary Funding Bill, and the Governor is expected to sign this.

It now enacts Red Flag laws which allows for temporary removal of firearms under order of a judge from people deemed to be unsafe or unfit to have one, and closes the private gun show loop hole, requiring all firearm sales and transfers to be subject to a standard criminal back ground check. 20 other states already have Red Flag laws.

There is nothing in this bill about AR-style weapons ban or magazine capacity restrictions.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

You can bet a registry will be next. How else would they know if a firearm went through the universal background check?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

How else would they know if a firearm went through the universal background check?

I assume there is a record of this when the FBI/NICS conducts one. It wouldn’t necessarily be attached so a singular weapon, but it would certainly have a name and all the other information required to conduct that check.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

In addition to the issues listed above, the vast majority of flag laws do not provide precise protocol and procedures for obtaining your firearms back if they are “held” by the authorities.

Sorry for my blatantly disrespecting attitude, but I dont trust anyone that is reactive and doesn’t protect the rights of innocent people first! Tell them to kiss your azz

Brad Dimond

just sent off a Email to my State Rep. ( Tom Emmer ) in the past he’s been a big supporter of gun rights. I let my feeling to him be known.

Emmer is U.S. House, not state. While he may have influence, he doesn’t have a vote.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Chip chip chip away. You realize THEY wont be happy until we have no guns, right?
    And THEY are in power now. I dont know what to do other than watch this $hit show transpire.

matt

Have a feeling there will be some not so friendly confrontations when authorities arrive to take someones guns.

mojo

They are counting on confrontations when they come. They want evidence to show that even law abiding citizens cannot be trusted with guns.
    I’m not saying who “they” are, but there’s a reason all the government agencies are currently being weaponized against the American people. 87,000 new agents and $10,000,000 in recent gun and ammo purchases FOR THE IRS alone!
    Slavery is coming back to the USA! All of the middle class, regardless of race, color, background or culture will be owned and controlled. And so many short sighted, ignorant and selfish people who will be most vocal against it once it is too late, are the one’s supporting and even demanding changes to our freedoms right now.
    There will be much groaning and gnashing of teeth to come. Teach your children accordingly.

On a lighter note, had a great day fishing today, and was extremely relieved to get my outboard lower unit rebuilt and running excellent again. Made my own trick for getting the detent balls and spring into the clutch dog and it worked like a charm!

Brittman

Much of the social agenda changes the DFL has led through Minnesota appears to be left of most Minnesotans. That said, the damage has been done.

If the MN Republicans realized that they are the minority party, but a MODERATE Republican can win state office or take back districts that are full of independents … there is a chance. Strategies are important when you are the underdog.

Brittman

A few threads ago (well longer than that). I posted a comment on buy, borrow, and die.

It is a strategy that allows one to avoid a lot of taxes. It is often why very wealthy (generational wealth) liberals press on higher taxes. Does not apply to them.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Called my state senator to tell him how I felt about his. Unfortunately I think I woke him up. He sounded a little hung over.

Attachments:
    1. 4DE07CE8-A244-4338-B48F-D6E6C3AED55E.jpeg

Umy
    South Metro

From the MN GunCaucus – for what it’s worth….

Just after midnight, the Minnesota House, with bipartisan opposition and not a single Republican vote, passed SF2909, the 500+ page omnibus bill with Universal Background Checks (AKA Universal Gun Registration) and Red Flag Gun Confiscation.

SF2909 will now head to Governor Walz’s desk – he has said he will sign it into law. The new laws will take effect on August 1st, 2023.

Before we talk about what’s next – let’s talk about what we were all able to work together to stop this year from being passed into law.
    Magazine bans
    Prohibitions on 18-20-year-olds from purchasing and possessing many commonly owned firearms
    Bans on commonly owned rifles
    Liability insurance
    Mental health & physical tests to own firearms
    Mandatory inspections of your home for “safe storage.”
    “Defenseless storage.”
    Licensing to own and keep a firearm
    Prohibitions on carrying a firearm
    Removal of state preemption, allowing cities and counties to pass their own gun laws
    And the list goes on..

The DFL trifecta could only get two watered-down gun control bills passed – and only by one vote.

With your generous support, we spent thousands of dollars to get gun owners involved across the state and pour pressure on weak legislators to oppose these gun control bills.

And let’s not forget, along with our national partners, we defeated Keith Ellison in federal court, winning the right for 18-20-year-old adults to legally obtain permits to carry — although we’re still waiting to see about a possible appeal before that ruling is put into effect.

We could STOP these bills and achieve this victory in court only through your tireless advocacy and support. Thank you for all that you did!

Let’s talk briefly about what’s next.

First, in the coming days, we’ll post up material about the new laws and what they mean for gun owners when they take effect on August 1st. We’ll likely have explainer videos covering the basics and other reference material so you know exactly how to stay within the law with private sales and transfers.

And we’ll explain how the new Red Flag Gun Confiscation Law will work.

Second, we’re working with our national partners around potential legal action about these bills.

As we do so, it’s important to note a couple of key issues:
    First, generally, universal background check bills have not been struck down in court.
    However, Red Flag Gun Confiscation laws have been struck down in New York. Such a case requires an individual plaintiff that has been directly harmed – so it may not be possible for us to sue preemptively as we have done in other cases.

Again, we’re exploring with our national partners & outside counsel. We will consider legal action — and we’re also working on some other legal cases we hope to announce later this year to further advance the Second Amendment in Minnesota.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I generally dont share my opinion but in this case I will and I have a question for those that think there should be very few new restrictions on firearm purchases or owning firearms

Its not the hardened criminals and gangs that are the shooters for mass shootings at Malls, Schools, Churches or Concerts. How are those situations prevented before they start? I dont feel that relying on a gun carrying person being in the right place at the right time to stop those is the answer

Also, there dont seem to be many shootings in the news where the shooter used any type of gun commonly used for hunting

What is the harm in having extra background checks on someone trying to purchase a firearm in general? The checks and determinations should be made on facts, not opinions.

Im sure I will get some responses that strongly disagree and that is fine, but I just havent seen a solution to stop the mass shootings from the group that states everyone has the right to own any type of firearm

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.