Help with Christmas Gift.

• robby
    Quad Cities

My Dad is 75 years old. Still hunts and fishes, owns a good boat. Has ground blinds. Has hang on stands. Has many rods and reels. He has enough money to buy whatever he wants. It has gotten very difficult to find a gift for him for Christmas. Very difficult. He has all the warm clothes he needs, socks, gloves, guns, etc.. Any ideas are welcome.

Ripjiggen

How about a guided fishing trip with his son.

rsee

Time with you. He is 75 years old.

robby
    Quad Cities

Not a bad idea, although we have always done things on our own. But…a great idea. Thank you.

robby
    Quad Cities

Yearned for this my entire life.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Winner out of the gate. It doesn’t matter how much money you have, you can’t buy time with loved ones. Go and make some more memories.

Iowaboy1

Robby, you are so lucky to still have your dad !
    I lost my dad just a couple of months after his sixtieth birthday and I was twenty nine, what I would have gave for one more fishing trip with him.
    I read your question several times and thought about what I would do if I were in your shoes.
    Looking back at my life, if it were me and things are good between you and your dad, I would write him a letter telling him that you love him and appreciate everything he has done for you in his lifetime.

Let him know that his guidance, leadership, everything has influenced your life to shape you into the man that you are today and that you are grateful for it.
    I would also tell him that you are sorry for the times you failed him, but you did your best to right those things.
    There is nothing in the world better than having dad say, son, I am proud of you.
    ( and sadly, too many in this world have never heard that, luckily I have )

Material things, are only for a short while and often forgotten, but words carry on forever in the heart.

nord

iowaboy. So well said.you brought tears to my eyes.

stevenoak

Robbie Two things stick out to me in what you said. 75 and hang on stands. I’m 65 have 2 box blinds, 1 4’x5′ 1 4’x8′ on wheels. Three years ago, I gave the 8′ to a friend of mine. It was built over the course of months with 2×4 framing and plywood car siding. Its built better than most new homes. It’ not only mouse proof, but insect proof. With being painted dark brown. I’ve never used a heater. He was about 75 at the time. He sent me a picture of opening day with him and his daughter that was in her 40’s hunting in it together opening day. Smile on their faces was priceless. Even if he would prefer to hunt alone. It’s much safer and should extend his hunting option in later years. Maybe give him windows hardware etc. and if you have time, you and he build it together next summer. Bulit mine on a slab behind my shop after work. Sitting in a desk chair with a beer, designing my blind around me. Now there is a shelf, coffee holder and hooks exactly where I want them. I hunt alone, an hour from home. This is a lot safer more comfortable option. Built right can be in the family for years.
    On the simpler side. I have a Traeger and 3 different Webers. Think Santa is bringing a 22” Blackstone.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

X2

Damnit Sheldon pulling on the heart strings this early in the morning!!! moon

Umy
    South Metro

Yeah, me too right now.
    Going to visit him at Ft. Snelling Saturday when we do the Christmas Wreaths ( yes CHRISTMAS)
    I say “hi” every time I drive by on 494 – I know he hears me wave

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Great idea, and if he prefers DIY book a trip with you to a lake or place he’s always wanted to go. One of our big Northern MN lakes, Lake Erie, Devil’s Lake, Green Bay or Lake Sakakawea.

deertracker

My dad passed away when he was 55. I was 28. One of my biggest regrets is not spending enough time with him. I grew up with a cabin on Mille Lacs. When I was young I would ride up with him on Friday and immediately take off with my friends when we got there. I basically would not see him until Sunday. After I graduated I left for college, got married and had kids right away. I didn’t spend much time with him. I truly wish I could do it all over again. You always think you have more time.
    DT

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If you have or know of a favorite photo, have it enlarged, printed and framed.

– J.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Great post!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I lost my dad just a couple of months after his sixtieth birthday and I was twenty nine, what I would have gave for one more fishing trip with him.
    I read your question several times and thought about what I would do if I were in your shoes.
    Looking back at my life, if it were me and things are good between you and your dad, I would write him a letter telling him that you love him and appreciate everything he has done for you in his lifetime.

Let him know that his guidance, leadership, everything has influenced your life to shape you into the man that you are today and that you are grateful for it.
    I would also tell him that you are sorry for the times you failed him, but you did your best to right those things.
    There is nothing in the world better than having dad say, son, I am proud of you.

Material things, are only for a short while and often forgotten, but words carry on forever in the heart.

X3.. do it now. No amount of money spent would ever top that letter. Jealous you get to do this… I cannot. bawling

Paul D
    Roseville

Harry Chapin – Cats in the cradle

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I say a salt water fishing trip for sure.

LabDaddy1

My dad is turning 76 on New Year’s Eve(I am 31) and it’s hard shopping for his gifts also. He has everything he wants or needs as far as material. I think these sentimental suggestions are all great and I’m sure they come from the heart.

We really need to cherish the time with the ones we still have. I don’t know how much time my dad has left and my 56 year old mom just took her own life. Service is today.

Good luck and take care. Merry Christmas!

big_g
    Isle, MN

So sorry to hear this LabDaddy1… good thoughts your way today. frown

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My dad is turning 76 on New Year’s Eve(I am 31) and it’s hard shopping for his gifts also. He has everything he wants or needs as far as material. I think these sentimental suggestions are all great and I’m sure they come from the heart.

We really need to cherish the time with the ones we still have. I don’t know how much time my dad has left and my 56 year old mom just took her own life. Service is today.

Good luck and take care. Merry Christmas!

Like we text about man, sorry to hear this and I’m always around if you need some one to talk to

B-man

Lab that’s horrible news to hear, wishing you the absolute best in healing sir. I lost my little brother to suicide years ago, it’s something that will have you asking “why” for the rest of your life.

A new Suicide/Life Crisis hotline came out this year to better help people in need. They can be called or even texted. It should be on billboards everywhere in my opinion to spread the word.

If you or anyone you know is ever in need, remember 988.

LabDaddy1

Thank you guys very much. Robby I did not mean to sidetrack your thread either.

robby
    Quad Cities

Tears here too. Thanks Iowa and Merry Christmas.

robby
    Quad Cities

Thank You everyone for your suggestions and experiences. Goes to show the sort of folks that make us this Forum. I appreciate you all.

MX1825

So sorry for your loss Labdaddy. Prayers sent.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.