Help reading sonar

• matthewkolden

I spent 7 hours on buffalo lake this morning looking for some fish. Our sonar was showing awesome arcs all stacked up in a ton of locations. Despite that, we never had a single bite. We tried cranks, 3 way cranks, Lindy rigs, crawler harnesses, rippin raps, jigs. Nothing worked. So my question is, are these fish? I am just baffled that in all that time, with this many marks, and so many presenations, that nothing bit. I mean, I’ll own it if that’s the case, which I suspect it is, but my god it was a bummer. Still great to be out, but just torture seeing all the marks with nothing to show for it.

So, are these fish?!

Attachments:
    1. 0910161212.jpg

Bass_attack

You must have it on simulator mode rotflol

From my experiance those are fish. Is buffalo lake still pea soup green

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Could they be a non targeted fish like Carp or Catfish all stacked up like that maybe?
    If possibly they are then they may not like what your presenting to them.
    Just a thought…

catnip
    south metro

Dynamite will answer your question.

matthewkolden

You must have it on simulator mode rotflol

From my experiance those are fish. Is buffalo lake still pea soup green

You know I made that same joke at one point.

Obviously, yes, it’s clear the fish did not care for anything we presented to them, which was just about everything. I simply wanted to make sure I wasn’t misinterpreting my sonar. Today was a humbling day on the water. One which I hope to learn from and find ways to avoid in the future.

As for buffalo lake, yea, it’s a big bowl of pea soup. I’m not particularly eager to get back there again.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Looks to me like you have a hard bottom and small fish/bait fish or fish out to the side of the boat but not directly under your boat. I would lean towards small fish/bait. IMHO

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

For that shallow of water them are pretty weak returns. I am leaning towards small fish/bait. When in doubt drop down a camera lol.

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

Buffalo Lake still has the green tint to it, and a lot of green slime depending on where the wind is blowing. Spent the last two days out there, sunrise to sunup for a photo shoot. Must have seen over 50 carp jumping. Didn’t see many boats out there fishing, just a couple. Most of my luck has come in wintertime, but I don’t spend a lot of time out there. The panfish are a little small for my liking, but it would be a good lake to take the kids to for a day of fun fishing.

matthewkolden

Buffalo Lake still has the green tint to it, and a lot of green slime depending on where the wind is blowing. Spent the last two days out there, sunrise to sunup for a photo shoot. Must have seen over 50 carp jumping. Didn’t see many boats out there fishing, just a couple. Most of my luck has come in wintertime, but I don’t spend a lot of time out there. The panfish are a little small for my liking, but it would be a good lake to take the kids to for a day of fun fishing.

We also saw all those jumping carp.

For those of you suggesting these marks were small fish or bait fish, would anyone be able to provide an image of what a bigger fish, or a Walleye would appear like? Maybe I need to understand my graph better. I’m always looking to learn!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.