Help please

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I need a little help.
    This happened a few years ago but I need the expert advice of the IDO members.

I was hanging out with my buddy in Blaine and we were talking about stuff while sitting in the backyard. His neighbor Jon walked over and sat down. One topic lead to another and finally we started to talk about fishing. Seems Jon is a avid big time Crappie fisherman. As he tells it that is all he fishes for and will never fish for anything else. So we talk for a while and my buddy says “maybe I’ll try that some time”, meaning fishing. So Jon says “well anytime you want to go you can use my boat just bring it back the same way it was when you took it.” A great offer!!

Flash forward and my buddy thinks we should go fishing. So he calls his neighbor Jon and asks about the boat, Jon says it’s ok to use it just bring it back the same way it was when you took it. So the day and time is set for our adventure. In anticipation of catching a BIG fish I head to Thorne Brothers as they are near my buddies house. I asked what to use for big fish and was shown to a rack covered in baits. I was assured one of these baits in a neutral color (I was impressed by that tip) would do the trick. I was stoked until I saw the price, yikes! But then I remembered reading one of the experts on IDO wrote “GO BIG OR GO HOME”, so what the heck I bought a bait and some worms and away I went. I got to my buddies house just as he finished hooking up Jons boat and loading his stuff. Now in talking with Jon he had mentioned Coon Lake was his favorite secret hole for Crappies. So I assumed that’s where we were off to. Not so fast grasshopper. My buddy said “I always wanted to be like Huck Finn and fish on Old Man River.” Next thing I know we are headed South on Hwy 61 looking for adventure and giant Crappies. While discussing how to get the boat into the water we conclude just rolling it off the trailer and dragging it down the parking lot will be the easiest. After-all we are two strong dudes. When we get there we see people backing the boat down a ramp and simply pushing the boat off the trailer and driving away! Who knew right?
    Well I will admit it took like 20 minutes to get that darn boat straight and into the water. We had a crowd watching us but they seemed entertained and not in a hurry so everything was good. My buddy got the motor started and away we went in Jon’s boat for our adventure. We decided while driving that the fish must be in the middle of the river as that’s where all the boats were driving although we thought they were driving much too fast to catch anything. After-all we had read the recent thread on IDO that said to fish slow, oh we were so going to slay the fish! I dug out my brand new Thorne Brothers big fish bait and started to put some plastic things on it. Being a IDO regular reader I knew that the experts used different color / styles at different times. I got this. So I loaded the bait and realized Crapola In A Pot I forgot my pole. No matter, Jon had left one of his poles in the boat so I would use that. We were almost to the secret spot on the river that is always talked about on IDO so I needed to hurry! I got that new bait tied onto Jons rod with just a little bit of trouble (the bunny ears didn’t look like the ones when I tie my shoes) but I thought it would work. I could see we were about on the secret spot, boats everywhere racing for the spot on the spot the IDO experts talk about (even the pro’s on TV talk about that) although I don’t know where the guy pushing the big flat things was headed.
    My buddy says “this is it” and shuts the motor off and drops his worm over the side. Not to crowd him ( I also read on IDO crowding is a no, no) I stand up and lean back and cast that bait as far as I can like I see the Muskie guys do on TV.

So now my questions are…….
    1) Why did my buddy’s neighbor’s rod break?
    2) Why did my brand new very expensive lure fly from the middle of the river into the trees?
    3) When returning Jons boat does he expect us to buy him a new Crappie fishing pole? I don’t think his string was good, it broke the first time I tried to cast!

We had fun although we didn’t catch any fish. Had a bunch of people wave at us and even shout as they flew past in their boats. We couldn’t talk because they didn’t stop. It took a long time to get back to the truck and load the boat. We floated a good long way down the river and every time we motored back to our secret spot and shut the motor off we would float away again. You guys that can fish the “spot on the spot” I tip my hat to you. You are really fast.

I know (from reading on IDO) I was supposed to name the brand of boat, motor, rod, string, lure & sex of the worms. However I didn’t want to thread to turn political.

Attachments:
    1. DSC08540-scaled.jpg

KPE
    River Falls, WI

The problem here is he didn’t max out HP on that boat. This is generally the root cause of all problems.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

You almost had me until I saw the attach picture. Thorne Brothers does not sell that lure.
    Great post rotflol

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You almost had me until I saw the attach picture. Thorne Brothers does not sell that lure.
    Great post rotflol

It was a few years ago. wink

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I think your problem was lure choice. The biggest is not always the best. I had to tell my wife the same thing the other day when she pointed to what she wanted on the wall of the marital aid store. Bigger is not always better and that’s a fire extinguisher.

blackbay
    mn

Should have went upstream.

MX1825

Did either of you put the plug in? whistling

And you forgot the beer.

dirtywater

Sometimes you do everything right and the fish still don’t bite. Did you check the moon phase?

Welcome to the sport, it’s great to see newbies getting into it.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Should have went upstream.

Maybe, but that would have required us to tow the boat another 30 miles to a launch where we could go upstream to the secret spot on a spot. Then when we floated off the spot we would have been closer to Iowa. I was told as a youngster to stay away from Iowa as the only good thing coming out of Iowa was the freeway.

isu22andy

Not enough sparkles on the boat , and you forgot to wipe the water spots off it in the parking lot !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.