Help picking out a rod and reel for my son!

• crappieguy

He’s turning 10 and wants a spinning rod and reel like his dad! He’s tired of his push button (and it broke).

Doesn’t need to break the bank like I did, especially since he’s 10. But I’d like a nice one. Will probably get something at Dicks since it’s close to home.

Any specific recommendations out there?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Berkeley Lightening Rod and Shimano Nasci reel ! waytogo

crappieguy

What’s a good rod length? 6′ 6″ ?

And dang, that’s a nice reel… might be a little too priced. He’s not quite at the age where he takes super good care of his stuff, like setting the rod down in the worst possible places!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Got my son a Shakespeare combo at Fleet Farm. I think it was 5.5′. I think 6.5′ is a little too long for a kid. Better off making it easy for them to control. Can’t remember the model… but it was silver, black and yellow I. Decent reel for his age. I think the combo was like $30. Not a fan of Dicks for hunting or fishing.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

The Lightning Rod is a good choice. 6’6″ is a good all around length.
    I’d look at the Pflueger President size 30 reels. Retail at $59 but on sale frequently for $49. It’s a durable never fail reel.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have 6’6″ and 7’… most of mine are 2 piece for fly-in trips. You could get him a Sienna, until he gets a little older waytogo

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Shimano Sienna is a good choice for the reel!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I would also agree with the Sienna.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Let your son pick it out.

Id have him look first at the Fenwick gt with a sienna though laugh

blank

Agree with letting your son pick out a rod he likes, with some insight from you. I wouldn’t go with anything longer than 6′ for someone that young and small, something that has a fairly soft tip, but good backbone.

Also pay attention to handle size. Some handles are a little too big for smaller hands and become uncomfortable. And make sure the rod and reel are well balanced. I’ve held some cheaper combos that are very unbalanced (usually short rod handles) and would become very uncomfortable to hold.

Since he’s young and probably not the softest on stuff, an Ugly Stick wouldn’t be a bad choice. Kids and inexperienced anglers tend to reel fish up way too far, and reel lures all the way to the tip, so I wouldn’t spend too much money on a rod. I’d spend more on a reel that has a decent drag, since kids and inexperienced anglers don’t fight fish the same way as more experienced anglers.

crappieguy

Thanks for the help guys, this board always comes through in a pinch

Bassn Dan

A 5 1/2 to 6 foot rod in a ML power would be a good all purpose rod. Probably go with a medium sized reel – like a 2000 or 30. If you go too small there will be a LOT of frustration with line coiling/snarls/tangles.

A Pflueger President 30 would seem like a solid choice that’s not too heavy and could move up to other rods as he gets bigger.

crappieguy

We went 6′ M Ugly Stick GX2 and a Sienna 2500.

Priced just right for now. As he takes it up more I’ll start walking him into stores to check out his own desired gear!

Plus side, I use the sienna’s on my ice rods!

bobberstop4054

All my poles were hand me downs from my grandpa

crappieguy

All my poles were hand me downs from my grandpa

Neither of his grandpa fished… but he will be getting a hand-me-down ice rod or two from his dad this year!

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

My 10 year old is due for a new reel, but for the past couple years he’s done great with a really cheap Zebco spinning reel ($10 clamshell pack at walmart) on an old 5’6 ugly stick with a sensitive tip.

Lately he’s been stealing my Lightning rod w/ Shimano Syncopate reel — fairly similar to a sienna, but with the “quick fire” bale release that I really don’t use.

Get him started on a baitcaster ASAP as well. This is the time to learn while he’s still used to using his thumb to cast.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

We went 6′ M Ugly Stick GX2 and a Sienna 2500.

Priced just right for now. As he takes it up more I’ll start walking him into stores to check out his own desired gear!

Plus side, I use the sienna’s on my ice rods!

Good choices, have fun woot

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Pick him up a Pflueger President for a reel and a cheap rod. Help him pick out something ML with a soft tip and good backbone. You can upgrade the rod as he gets older. The rod length I have for my 5 year old is 4’-6” right now (he will be upgrading to 5’ to 5’-6” for his birthday). He has no problem using my 7’ rod other than me ducking when he cast. As your son gets older and more aware of his surroundings, you can upgrade the rod and length. A hook in the face is not fun.

jon_wbl

Let him pick the rod. One thing I found when my son was young was a “lady Angler” series from Gander. Same as other rods but a slightly smaller diameter handle to hold onto.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.