Helix Sonar/ Down Imaging Transducer

• Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

So I have a Helix 7 G2 with GPS/Down Imaging transducer. It’s about 7 years old, but lately the 2Dsonar display has “faded out”, but the GPS display has been fine. I played with transducer settings and none seem to make a difference. After awhile, or moving to another spot, it does not pickup bottom in 2D sonar while on plane, then stop and sometimes decides to work again-for unknowingly how long.
    I’m guessing the transducer is going bad? Wondering how many years has anyone else got out of theirs?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Boy I haven’t had transducer go bad. Both mine have well over 3,000 hrs on them and crisp as ever.

Your symptoms increasing gradually over time can be an indicator of corrosion on your power wires or terminals. Check those closely.

If you didn’t solder, dielectric, and heat shrink connections you may be seeing loss of power as other connection types don’t last too long.

Increasing the sensitivity, not helping, reminds me of when my battery is about to die on a flasher.

Do you monitor the voltage from your unit?
    If so, what are you seeing?

If you don’t get much help you may just Google symptoms of bad di transducer. Wish I could help more.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I just had this same thing happen earlier this spring. The next outing my helix 9 would not power on. Found a blown fuse… replaced that and have not an issue since.

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

I decided to buy another transducer and try that once it comes. I tried finding the voltage readout but could not find it-online videos only talked about low voltage alarm. I would rule the battery out as it cranks over motor and powers lights and livewell no problem. No wires spliced or corroded. Guessing these transducers good bad just like the HB ICE Series of flashers(brother replaced his after six years).

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I tried finding the voltage readout but could not find it-online videos only talked about low voltage alarm. I would rule the battery out as it cranks over motor and powers lights and livewell no problem.

THose things you mentioned all run off different wires, yes they use the same battery, but does not rule out the wiring. SOrry.

To view the voltage, you need to go to your VIEWS menu. Make sure the system status is selected as a viewable screen. Then just push the view button until that screen is showing. It will show you voltage. Or, you can select voltage as a readout.

Lots of people like to run too long and too small of wire for their graphs and they see a voltage drop from the battery. Then they like crummy connections and that further exasperates the problem.

Attachments:
    1. Jeff2152019E-5.jpg

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

It’s possible I may have made that view hidden. Ducer worked pretty good over the long weekend. Have yet to figure out why it’s not picking up the bottom on plane. Only thing that has ever changed is I did the software updates. Or something changed since I used it ice fishing???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.