Helix or Onix

• Denny O
    Central IOWA

I have an 1198 and a 998 both are Csi’s tied to the link system using an Ulterra trolling motor with a 5 pin hub.
    I’m contemplating making a switch to Helix or Onix with either in a 10″ or larger graft.

I use 2 finders on my boat and thinking about a third so,.

Can I use one of each type?

What are the advantages for Helix versus Onix or is it a reverse?

Advantages versus disadvantages at any combinations of my equations?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Maybe there are no owners of the Onix series?
    I hear chatter on the Helix units.

I have only picked up on a couple of differences between the 2 series,
    Processor speed and the ability to share lake sd cards.
    Way points are particular to the unit in Onix, are they shared in Helix?

Other than $ there has to be more differences, y/n??

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’ll be adding a helix 12 fairly soon to replace my 898&788 and link up with my 1199 freeing up the smaller units to go onto a winter boat.

There’s literally nothing that will push me to the onix at this point. The prices on the helix 12 is hard to pass up though even though I don’t “need it”

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Denny – Here are my $0.02 coming from a Lowrance user, I would get the ONIX units. The quality and clarity of these units are top notch. ONIX SI units are very powerful in shallow water.

EDIT: Humminbird networking chart attached.

Dean Marshall had a few heavily discounted ONIX units for sale back in January. It’s worth sending him a message to see if they’re still available.

Here are a few screen shots from ONIX:
    http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/fishfood4/library/Onix%20images?sort=3&page=1

JoeMX1825
    MN

Onix is the best, but also the most expensive, it has the highest resolution screen, touchscreen (more $$) dedicated DI crystal in the transducer, faster processor, unlimited adjust ability in terms of on screen configurations, can share 1 map card…

Helix is no different than the legacy units you have other than it has a faster processor, much brighter screen, 8 hours of autochart live and the resolution on the Helix 10 and 12 are much better than legacy units…Helix and Legacy come with quick disconnect cable ports vs Onix each cable must be screwed in (might seem simple, but this was a big deal for me, I wanted the ability to quickly remove the screen)

I’ve owned legacy units, now own a Helix 10si…love it.. the Onix isn’t worth the big $$ compared to a Helix imo…

Onix also maxes at 10.1″ screen, Helix maxes at 12.1″ if screensize is a big deal for you….I also believe the Onix is 4:3 format vs Helix 16:9 Widescreen format, widescreen is nice for SI display…

reddog

I have a 1198 and an Onix 10 and while I love the Onix, I also hate it. I’ve had it two years so far and something as simple as deleting gps trails, or even changing SI colors takes me more time than setting up a complete menu on my core systems. It’s very frustrating for me. But, I will add that once it’s set up, it’s good to go, (unless you want to change something) I played with the largest Helix yesterday and loved what I saw and especially enjoyed them because I know the keystrokes inside and out.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ll be adding a helix 12 fairly soon to replace my 898&788 and link up with my 1199 freeing up the smaller units to go onto a winter boat.

There’s literally nothing that will push me to the onix at this point. The prices on the helix 12 is hard to pass up though even though I don’t “need it”

You are just adding the Helix for the screen size maybe then?

Denny – Here are my $0.02 coming from a Lowrance user, I would get the ONIX units. The quality and clarity of these units are top notch. ONIX SI units are very powerful in shallow water.

EDIT: Humminbird networking chart attached.

Dean Marshall had a few heavily discounted ONIX units for sale back in January. It’s worth sending him a message to see if they’re still available.

Here are a few screen shots from ONIX:
    http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/fishfood4/library/Onix%20images?sort=3&page=1

As always Thanks for your info!
    The screen shots are always great! I need to get into them on my own units.

Your networking chart is very helpful!! I would read into it that if the Helix and /or the Core series are linked with the Onix will only share waypoints, routes and tracks, no sonar or other accessory information is shared. Humm, I see no advantage to doing this then.

Helix to Core is no different than Helix to Helix or Core to core.

What about Onix to Onix?

Onix is the best, but also the most expensive, it has the highest resolution screen, touchscreen (more $$) dedicated DI crystal in the transducer, faster processor, unlimited adjust ability in terms of on screen configurations, can share 1 map card…

Helix is no different than the legacy units you have other than it has a faster processor, much brighter screen, 8 hours of autochart live and the resolution on the Helix 10 and 12 are much better than legacy units…Helix and Legacy come with quick disconnect cable ports vs Onix each cable must be screwed in (might seem simple, but this was a big deal for me, I wanted the ability to quickly remove the screen)

I’ve owned legacy units, now own a Helix 10si…love it.. the Onix isn’t worth the big $$ compared to a Helix imo…

Onix also maxes at 10.1″ screen, Helix maxes at 12.1″ if screensize is a big deal for you….I also believe the Onix is 4:3 format vs Helix 16:9 Widescreen format, widescreen is nice for SI display…

The decitaded DI is where some of my intrest lies plus sharing the “1 map card” .

Question tho, will it share to more stations than 1 or more?

Hummmm, screw in cables, I need to look into thaty. Thanke for the heads up, thanks!

I have a 1198 and an Onix 10 and while I love the Onix, I also hate it. I’ve had it two years so far and something as simple as deleting gps trails, or even changing SI colors takes me more time than setting up a complete menu on my core systems. It’s very frustrating for me. But, I will add that once it’s set up, it’s good to go, (unless you want to change something) I played with the largest Helix yesterday and loved what I saw and especially enjoyed them because I know the keystrokes inside and out.

Reddog, I believe we have spoke on a couple of other HB forums, no? You say the navigation through the menus are tough, but once there are set you are good to go. Have they allowed us to save a user setting when doing an update after going back to defaults??

Gentlemen thank you for your initial responses. I have questions that you have shed some light on to.

I thank you for your responses in advance!
    Denny O

reddog

Denny, I’m sure we have communicated elsewhere also. I bought my first Humminbird in 08, a 997. Since then, I’ve owned a 787, 788, two more 997s, then an 1197, then an 1198, and then an Onix10. The first time any unit ever had to go back to Eufaula, was last month, when the gps died on the Onix. Customer service was great, and the unit was back to me in less than a week. (Complete with the Lakemaster chip I left in it.). With v2.7 just out, ordinarily I would not have done the update, but since it was going in, I told them to go ahead with the update ,(but I don’t think you have any choice, if it goes in, it gets updated).

Now, to your question about saving your user created settings. The answer is no, I don’t believe so. After resetting defaults twice for customer service while on the water trying to bring back the gps, and with the short turn around getting it back and getting on the water, setting it up again went better. While looking at the Helix units this week in a showroom, I played the menu like a fiddle, just like the core units. I’ve yet to see a Helix on the water but I have a friend that has a ten and a twelve on a new boat that he wants me to set up, and I’m anxious to put them thru their paces. First nice day, that will happen.

I know, long answer to a short question. Sorry. )

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

You are just adding the Helix for the screen size maybe then?

Yes. That AND, my 898 isn’t LED so it’ll be an improvement in visibility of my map. 2d shows up pretty well on the older units but map and si aren’t as good as the LED screens.

Plus. Wouldn’t two big arse screens on the dash be nice:)

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Plus. Wouldn’t two big arse screens on the dash be nice:)

Nailed it.

What are you waiting for Denny? Buy two 10″ screens Denney and let’s get them set up.

Bob Billboson

Just had my first and what will more than likey be last experance with humminbird. They say the helix has NMEA2000 but it needs a gateway ( $200 ) and then connects to thier ethernet. I’m an indutrail PLC guy so this kinda mickey mouse marketing S$%# really strikes a nerve with me.

If the product requires a “gateway” it doesn’t support the given protocall. It’s like me telling people I speak french becuase I hired a translator.

Saying the helix supports NM2k is a marketing half truth at best. If they thought it was ok to get away with it on one feature what would stop them to BS another?

The garmin Echomap does support NM2k and I will be returning my helix 9 ASAP and going with garmin

PS sorry for being such a troll as this is my first post but it’s so hard to compare products and impossible when manufactures put infomation out there that would be perjury in court ( the truth , THE WHOLE THURTH and NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH ) some how humminbird seems to think its ok play hot and lose with the last two.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good Morning Bob,

Hey just wondering if that’s your real name or are you using an alias?

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

A test post Brian… I see what your doing…. Calling BS to Bs…

Denny O
    Central IOWA

A test post Brian… I see what your doing…. Calling BS to Bs…

^^^ actually a response by an site admin from an e-mail to my friend.
    waytogo Thanks Brian!! peace

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.