Helix on a Snowmobile

• Nodakk

For everyone that has a helix or other graph on your sled, how did you wire the unit to the snowmobile battery? Direct or put in an inline fuse? Or wire in a 12V cigarette connection?

Ike Sell

My Ski Doo Expedition had an accessory 12v accessory socket option available so I ordered the kit. It plugged into the stock harness. I did not use the cigarette lighted connector and went with a polarized plug instead. The power is only on when the engine is running so no threat of a dead battery.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I wired mine right to the battery with a inline fuse, 3 amp I think.

Cameron white

Go constant power. Otherwise will shut off every time you shut down the machine.

Ike Sell

True and it’s a hassle at times as my engine needs to be running to get power. I use my Hummingbird for GPS lake maps only and rarely need it powered up unless I’m moving.

deertracker

I wired mine directly to the battery of my sled. Just keep in mind, if you have electric start, when you turn the key it may draw your battery down enough the unit shuts off. Had it happen all the time and ended up pull starting it when my Helix was running.
    DT

Nodakk

I wired mine directly to the battery of my sled. Just keep in mind, if you have electric start, when you turn the key it may draw your battery down enough the unit shuts off. Had it happen all the time and ended up pull starting it when my Helix was running.
    DT

Good to know. I do have both electric and pull start.

I just ordered a 3amp inline fuse and will be wiring directly to the battery. Now to decide on using the handlebar RAM mount or mounting a RAM ball directly to the sled by the speedo

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Hooked an old Humminbird 386 up to the battery withe a 3 amp inline fuse on the snowmobile and the depthfinder is giving an overvoltage warning when the sled is running. Must be the alternator putting out to much voltage for this old graph. Will be adding a sepereate battery this year to run just the graph.

Alex Fox

I did an inline fuse to a 12v and mounted it with a ram mount. I don’t use it to fish with though, just use it for the mapping features, so the 12v will last forever. The trick is figuring out where to put the extra battery and hide the wire.

Nodakk

I did an inline fuse to a 12v and mounted it with a ram mount. I don’t use it to fish with though, just use it for the mapping features, so the 12v will last forever. The trick is figuring out where to put the extra battery and hide the wire.

I am installing this helix strictly for a GPS while on the sled. It will be turned off as soon as I reach the spot.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Go constant power. Otherwise will shut off every time you shut down the machine.

That’s the way we rig the IDO sleds. There’s times we want to look at maps inside the trailer and out on the ice when we don’t need or want the sleds running. Of course you do need to remember to turn off the units when you’re not using them.

tswoboda

I am installing this helix strictly for a GPS while on the sled. It will be turned off as soon as I reach the spot.

I’ve done both… had a spare battery mounted just to run the helix and now I have the helix wired to the starter battery. I use it like you are, just going spot to spot and I much prefer having it wired to the starting battery. With the dedicated battery I had to bring it inside and charge it every night when on trips.

Nodakk

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cameron white wrote:</div>

That’s the way we rig the IDO sleds. There’s times we want to look at maps inside the trailer and out on the ice when we don’t need or want the sleds running. Of course you do need to remember to turn off the units when you’re not using them.

James- Do you have a preferred mounting location for your sleds?

Alex Fox

Nodakk, as far as where to mount it, it depends on your sled. For mine, the only place was the brake fluid reservoir. But they make them for almost any location you can think of. Also depends on if you want to see your gauges on your sled or not.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James- Do you have a preferred mounting location for your sleds?

Yup, right on top and slightly forward of the handlebars.

This video has multiple angles of what that looks like. Mounting the unit in that location means the unit is always right below your natural line of sight.

Red Eye

How I rigged the Garmin with separate battery and fuse cause no electric start.

Attachments:
    1. 12F922B9-F2B5-42CF-97E2-3EEA9B6C5647.jpeg

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I used the handle bar ball mount. You have to tilt it back to open the hood but no need to unplug it.

Attachments:
    1. AC3846F8-27E0-4D08-B963-2DECC93EDA51-scaled.jpeg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.