Helix 7 or Vexilar

• CaptainMusky

Helix 7 by a landfall . You can mark gps way points of hot spots . Graph mode is far superior to flasher mode – easier to see fish and history of fish , see how they react .

x1000

tswoboda

Each has there pros and cons, I mean the fl 8 and 18 were introduce in what early 2000’s and other than a brush kit those just keep working.

1980s for the original FL-8!!

Charles

Yeah So right there.

How are the 7’s with dealing with fishing at 100′, I have a helix that I am building out for ice fishing next year.

B-man

Just got back from Ontario fishing with my Dad and a couple of my buddies.

He’s been a lifelong Vexilar user and owner….

After fishing side by side with me he ordered a Garmin Ice Bundle on the way home toast

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Have used Helix and Marcum but went back to Vex. Now own a few Vex 28 and 30. Plain and simple to use in real time. I have navionics on my phone so I don’t need the mapping on my sonar unit. Graph mode on lcd screens lag and clutter up. I prefer the red/green/yellow separation lines, cone angle adjustments, and it fits my 5 gal bucket haha.

BAR

You have to go with what you are used, but with changes in technology I am curious to see what vex can do to stay relevant. Not everyone is over 50 that ice fishes.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

You have to go with what you are used, but with changes in technology I am curious to see what vex can do to stay relevant. Not everyone is over 50 that ice fishes.

I was next to the Vexilar area in Reeds at the St Paul Ice Show all three days and I can tell you the Vexilars were flying off the shelf and it was the younger generation of anglers. People just getting into ice fishing don’t buy a Helix 7 or Garmin with Livescope. They buy Vex. They command that lower end market easily and their top end units sell extremely well also. I know the comment was tongue in cheek but it’s pretty amazing what Vex continues to do even as the bar gets raised in the digital and live sonar setups.

BAR

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BAR wrote:</div>

I was next to the Vexilar area in Reeds at the St Paul Ice Show all three days and I can tell you the Vexilars were flying off the shelf and it was the younger generation of anglers. People just getting into <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing don’t buy a Helix 7 or Garmin with Livescope. They buy Vex. They command that lower end market easily and their top end units sell extremely well also. I know the comment was tongue in cheek but it’s pretty amazing what Vex continues to do even as the bar gets raised in the digital and live sonar setups.

Reeds certainly has them priced to sell, the discounts are substantial.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

You mean the same prices and 20% that the other retailers had them at? I just happened to be working with another company at the Reeds setup. They were selling the same all over the show.

BAR

You mean the same prices and 20% that the other retailers had them at? I just happened to be working with another company at the Reeds setup. They were selling the same all over the show.

I just looked at their website. Not the show.

Brittman

The depth / fish locator is fine, but on a subtle bite you better be paying close attention to your rod tip and line. Just saying …

BAR

The depth / fish locator is fine, but on a subtle bite you better be paying close attention to your rod tip and line. Just saying …

Yes agree regardless of flasher or sonar best to keep an eye on yiur rod tip/line.

Ripjiggen

Isn’t that kind of a given?:???:
    I mean it’s not like they set the hook for you.

Brittman

I know quite a few anglers that seem to get hypnotized by their locator or underwater camera screen.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.