Helix 7 or Vexilar

• brad howland
    Participant

I’m sure this is a highly debated question and both have their perks. I am curious to everyone’s opinions on which would be better for ICE FISHING ONLY. I plan on on getting one but. It sure which one.

FinnyDinDin
    Participant

If you want maps get the helix. If you are just looking for flasher get the vex.

I have a livescope but they aren’t good in deep water and I like to fish lakers so I needed a second graph. I went with the helix since maps were important. Lakemaster map detail is a must have for me which means you gotta have a bird. I was using a summer graph for maps and getting a helix saved me from bringing two graphs out. If maps weren’t important I would have got a vex.

isu22andy
    Participant

Helix 7 by a landfall . You can mark gps way points of hot spots . Graph mode is far superior to flasher mode – easier to see fish and history of fish , see how they react . See size difference . There no comparison unless you want ease of use and battery life then go vex .

Sloth5202
    Participant

I still haven’t been able to figure out why anyone would go with the Vex in this match up. What am I missing? Seems to me the Helix can do everything the vex can and even more. I really like the history of the graph.

Hoyt4
    Participant
    NULL

I would go vex but if you want to mark spots go Helix. I have my Helix sitting at home boxed up but do wish I had for marking a few spots this winter.

Reed
    Participant

I’m not a vex user, but have a marcum lx3 (not starting a marcum vs vex debate) and a helix 7. I love my helix for everything that was stated earlier, the only thing I really prefer my marcum for is for checking holes when hopping. The marcum gives pretty much instant results on what’s below the hole where the helix takes a few seconds to register. Not a big deal; it doesn’t deter me from using my helix over my marcum every time out.

Walleyeguy34
    Participant

Once you get the helix’s setting dialed in they are far better than a vexilar. There is a bit of a learning curve to the Helix’s. Had a buddy who refused to use his helix on the ice and I told him to update to latest software and dialed in some settings for him (mainly a-scope and zoom function) and now he only uses the helix.

brad howland
    Participant

Sounds like the Helix is the way to go. If I were to make one, which head unit would be the one to buy?

Walleyeguy34
    Participant

Helix 7 is a good size. Screen is big enough to see everything clearly and not too bulky. If you do plan on adding live scope I would go with the helix 9.

brad howland
    Participant

Helix 7 is a good size. Screen is big enough to see everything clearly and not too bulky. If you do plan on adding live scope I would go with the helix 9.

I am going to do the 7. For ice fishing does it matter if it is DI or SI?

Walleyeguy34
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyeguy34 wrote:</div>

I am going to do the 7. For <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing does it matter if it is DI or SI?

No it does not matter for ice fishing. The base model GPS/2D will give you all the functionalities. If you want to put it on your boat, I would consider getting the DI or SI model and networkable version.

duh queen
    Participant

I ran a vex for more than 20 years. This winter i bought an ice transducer for the Garmin I run on my boat. I don’t know if Ill ever go back! Maps/GPS, split screens, the ability to zoom in to a 2foot (or whatever size you want) window at any depth, The scroll, memory and fantastic resolution makde it a no brainer.

Coletrain27
    Participant

Had a helix 7 and went back to Vexilar. Way too much crap on the helix than I need to use. Also if you get a helix you better get a lithium battery also because the stock one will last a whole 4 hours of use

FinnyDinDin
    Participant

I do not like the new ‘case’ on the helix 7 that only covers the battery and wiring. Does anyone know of a carry case that covers the entire unit like a typical ice unit case? When I bought mine a couple years ago there weren’t any that fit.

My 7 came with a Norsk lithium battery that has never performed and was shot after a little over a year.

duh queen
    Participant

Had a helix 7 and went back to Vexilar. Way too much crap on the helix than I need to use. Also if you get a helix you better get a lithium battery also because the stock one will last a whole 4 hours of use

A couple of weeks ago I ran my Garmin 7 steady for a day and a half on a standard 9AH battery. The trick to extending the battery life is to disable the GPS and recording features that draw power but provide little benefit if you’re sitting on a hole.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

The reason people still use Vexilars is they do not fail. They take a beating and just keep going. The other big thing is there is ZERO delay on the display which the digitals can’t claim. I also find that my Vex does better in weeds than my HB and it seems like I can see through the weeds and see fish better with it.

Aboxy17
    Participant

I would say Helix or Garmin 73cv if you want the same thing but $300 cheaper. The mapping is much better and more functional in the cold than using your phone.

tswoboda
    Participant

The reason people still use Vexilars is they do not fail. They take a beating and just keep going. The other big thing is there is ZERO delay on the display which the digitals can’t claim. I also find that my Vex does better in weeds than my HB and it seems like I can see through the weeds and see fish better with it.

Yup. It’s the fiddle factor for me. For straight up sonar use Helix, Echomap, HDS, etc. does nothing for me. Give me an old school flasher 100%. But if you don’t already have a dedicated mapping unit then the fishfinders/chartplotters make a lot of sense.

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

I switched to a Helix 5 from a Marcum this winter and I love my Helix. I love the 2d sonar and the flasher view seems just as accurate or even better than what my marcum flasher was.

BAR
    Participant

I run my helix on ultra speed and co believe there is a lag. At least next to a vex we couldn’t see it with the naked eye.

brad howland
    Participant

Do the G4 Helix’s have a faster response time than previous models?

BAR
    Participant

Do the G4 Helix’s have a faster response time than previous models?

I don’t know I was using a helix 5 G2

Dylan Welle
    Participant

Vexilar flashers are second to none. If you want a high-performance flasher, the vexilar is your best bet, preferably the FLX series. They’re bulletproof units backed by fantastic customer service and industry-leading specs in display and target separation. The helix lineup’s biggest advantages are its maps. I personally rock the vexilar and use Navionics for my maps, and its worked great for me.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

When my LX5 dies im gonna get a Vex. if you wanna mark spots and have a map navionics on your phone works great for that

brandmoney
    Participant

I have both, and tend to lean on my Vexilar more.

If I’m fishing deeper than 30 feet or so I’ll use the Helix, but otherwise the Vex gets the call.

brad howland
    Participant

What Navionics is everyone using?

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Here’s how I do it. I bring my Helix 7 when I go to lakes where I know I’m going to need accurate mapping or it’s my first time out there, because honestly the mobile Navionics is no where near accurate on many lakes. If it’s a lake I know well, or am fishing shallow, I’m using the Vex.

Sometimes I even bring both……

Kirk Charipar
    Participant
    west central wi

Here’s how I do it. I bring my Helix 7 when I go to lakes where I know I’m going to need accurate mapping or it’s my first time out there, because honestly the mobile Navionics is no where near accurate on many lakes. If it’s a lake I know well, or am fishing shallow, I’m using the Vex.

Sometimes I even bring both……

Not meaning to jack your thread, but just wanted to share/add an experience I had with Lakemaster mapping on my Helix last week.
    Went to a lake I hadn’t fished in twenty years. Studied a Navionics map and picked a spot with a 5-15ft dropoff I wanted to ice fish at night after work for walleye. Drove on the lake with my Helix/Lakemaster map to the edge of a 20ft contour. (Remember the Navionics map showed 15ft) jumped out of the truck and drilled a hole-right into the bottom! Moved 20yds drill another-again into the bottom. flame
    Asked a nearby fisherman “if and where is there a 20ft depth?” “Not here” as he showed me an ‘off the wall’ contour map on his phone, showing 3-10ft deep in that area.

Just pointing out no matter how much we trust in technology and mapping, they are NOT always accurate. ;(

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

You also need to remember to adjust your water depth for low water levels (which would be fairly extreme this last year. Of course both have maps that aren’t that accurate, but in my experience in MN and WI, Lakemaster has been far more reliable, not only with mapping, but lakes mapped also.

Charles
    Participant

Cause the vexilars just work and last forever lol.

Each has there pros and cons, I mean the fl 8 were introduce in late 90’s and the fl18 is early 00’s and other than a brush kit those just keep working.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.