Heavy Current Walleye Lure Options on River

• Allen Huggins

Hey guys me and my fiancé we heart broken this weekend we fished a heavy current area and both broke off from our pb walleyes. Looking for heavy lure options as well as do you think we can catch walleyes during the day time as well I’m current on the river. Thank you and God Bless in Advance.

Attachments:
    1. 5C305464-1786-4C24-9066-4FEBA4A5EB1D.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Current on the river is a no Brainer for me. 3/4 oz jig and frozen shiner. 1 that sits 6 inches or so off bottom and is not touched and 1 that I jig with lightly.
    Been ice fishing rainy river and the st croix this way for years. ( no where near the Bayport zoo). Gold or pink jigs on the river. 3/4 oz jig head seems to be the perfect size for not being pushed and sits directly below and not pushed down river.

Awful picture I posted, but that is a 29.5 out of the croix near taylors falls in heavy current. Camera man and I both had a solid buzz.

Attachments:
    1. 2018040795155912.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

As for day time bites, that’s the only time I target the river.

Allen Huggins

As for day time bites, that’s the only time I target the river.

Would you prefer morning and day time, or day and night

Allen Huggins

Would these work I picked these up last night

Attachments:
    1. 3BBB0393-6A13-4DC6-B161-B4F4D46A1B44-scaled.jpeg

KP
    Hudson, WI

I fish the Croix often and those perch colored jigging raps have done well for me this winter. My go to color for jigs is gold and pink and fish it right off the bottom.

For the bite I have had the best success in early morning.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If you both broke off personal best walleyes, I think you have your baits figured out. I would evaluate your gear

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you both broke off personal best walleyes, I think you have your baits figured out. I would evaluate your gear

I agree completely.
    And those neon mooneyes are what caught our walleyes that day along with a frozen shiner

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Jigging raps are worthless in good current. At least from my experience

eyeguy507
    SE MN

absolutely not! you need the heaviest size so when you drop to bottom and rip them up, they stay at 45 degrees. if they fly back of your boat, you need bigger or the current is too strong. you need to decide if it can be done. i find the best size is a 7 on P4. i try and spotlock in seams where my TM has to work on 5 maybe 6, anything more and its just too hard to fish em. last fall i probably had the best day all year plucking big saugers doing this.
    i’m still trying to master the dubuqe rig in heavy current. there has been times that a one ounce dropper is not heavy enough to pull upstream. big river jigs are hard to find. i usually load up in Baudette as their selection for the RR is second to none. been a while since i made it up that way tho.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

absolutely not! you need the heaviest size so when you drop to bottom and rip them up, they stay at 45 degrees. if they fly back of your boat, you need bigger or the current is too strong. you need to decide if it can be done. i find the best size is a 7 on P4. i try and spotlock in seams where my TM has to work on 5 maybe 6, anything more and its just too hard to fish em. last fall i probably had the best day all year plucking big saugers doing this.
    i’m still trying to master the dubuqe rig in heavy current. there has been times that a one ounce dropper is not heavy enough to pull upstream. big river jigs are hard to find. i usually load up in Baudette as their selection for the RR is second to none. been a while since i made it up that way tho.

I find it very hard to use my trolling motor and boat on the ice. Which is what I assumed we were talking about. Hence the reason I posted a ice fishing pic on the river over heavy current. I will throw everything you said above out on my boat but not down a 8 inch hole. And all my big jigs also come from baudette as well. I have tons from steves

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I shouldn’t have said in good current. In a heavy current spot where I am using 1oz jig heads I find it difficult to even think about a jigging rap.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Would these work I picked these up last night

those jigs are likely too small if you are dealing with heavy current. the jigging raps and that flat rap look like the right size for what is realistically possible in heavy current. i just know them as #7. they make them as big as a #9 but that is too big IMO to fish vertically. some of my best fishing is on jigging raps. what river you fishing?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

ahhhhhh i should have seen this is the ice fishing sub! my bad…….these dog days have me thinking of horseing in big fat river eyes and sauger……another 2 months……carry on

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

ahhhhhh i should have seen this is the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing sub! my bad…….these dog days have me thinking of horseing in big fat river eyes and sauger……another 2 months……carry on

I’m also ready. Rainy is just around the corner

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

***Disclaimer, fishing for walleyes on Pool 4 through the ice is not my specialty nor a regular occurrence, but I’ve done it some. It’s regularly a very slow go, but we’ve had random days making it worth our efforts***

There are a couple places I’ve ice fished on Pool 4 that have substantial current. In these spots an old fashioned jig seems best. I’d say an ounce wasn’t necessary, but a quarter or 3/8 for sure. Those jigs posted would do fine in these conditions. Depth is also a factor as well as current. Fishing current in 12-14′ of water is different than fishing in 20’+ moving water and would take a heavy jig/bait. On Pool 4 it’d be extremely rare for me to target fish over 15-16′. Anything beyond that is likely dinky and not worth my time coercing 6″ saugers to bite. By moving shallower the odds of me finding bigger fish and not needing as heavy of a bait are both pros in my book.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Is it safe to ice fish over heavy current? Obviously some of you have done it and lived to tell about it. But it seems like the ice thickness could be highly variable within a small area and also from one day to another.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Is it safe to ice fish over heavy current? Obviously some of you have done it and lived to tell about it. But it seems like the ice thickness could be highly variable within a small area and also from one day to another.

Definitely changes day to day. But yes it can be safe and it can produce big fish. My favorite time is to drag the boat to rainy and ice fish no man’s land on the river while there are 100s of boats a half mile down river. Then take the boat out when it’s no longer safe

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Awful picture I posted, but that is a 29.5 out of the croix near taylors falls in heavy current. Camera man and I both had a solid buzz.

For me that’s what I call normal.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Buckshot spoons also can work. Just pick your weight, I have them up to 3/4 oz, Normally use 3/8-1/2. Can drill ducer hole down current if necessary.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.