HD Truck Brakes (2500 Ram)

• B-man

Well it’s time to replace brakes on my 2018 Ram 2500. Got 77,000 miles out of the factory set. Pretty good performance considering the majority of those miles were pulling trailers.

I was planning on checking what Napa and O’Reilly’s carry, and look into OEM ones.

Any specific recommendations on what to get?

CaptainMusky

I generally have better luck with brakes from Napa vs Oreilly, but I dont have a Ram so cannot say if it would be the same for you. I would imagine they would be.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

We have been using the Gold series from Autozone lately at the shop, they seem to be holding up. I usually use Adaptive One brand from Napa on my personal stuff.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

We have been using the Gold series from Autozone

I have also been using the Gold series from Autozone. I’ve done about 10 cars/light trucks with them. Price is right and reviews are almost universally good.

My 2 personal vehicles both are running Gold series, I have 55k on the brakes on my SUV and 30k on my wife’s smaller SUV. Wear seems to be excellent, certainly as good or better than GM and Ford OEM parts. I’ve done about 8 other friends/relatives cars with Gold and nobody’s had any issues.

Every time I’ve bought the brake pads, Autozone has had a deal where you get a discount on the parts if you buy the brake pads and rotors together. Not sure if this deal is always available, but i recall using it several times.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

We use the Duralast Gold at our shop too. If they’re not available we will go with Napa brake parts.
    Get premium rotors, you’ll be much happier in the long run in a towing application.

mojogunter

B-man did you have issues with the brakes squeaking? All of my 2500 in the last 10 years (2015,2018) and 3500 (2020,2022) rams the front brakes started squeaking. I switched out my brake pads at 15k on my current to ceramic pads and that stopped the noise. They seem to be holding up well, and no issues with performance. Before the ceramic I would switch out the rotors to Bosch and that also cured the issue, but the ceramic pads are a cheaper option if you have run into the same issue.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I switched out my brake pads at 15k on my current to ceramic pads and that stopped the noise

I think on heavier applications they have them metallic for better stopping power, not sure if the ceramic will work as well.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

B-man did you have issues with the brakes squeaking? All of my 2500 in the last 10 years (2015,2018) and 3500 (2020,2022) rams the front brakes started squeaking. I switched out my brake pads at 15k on my current to ceramic pads and that stopped the noise. They seem to be holding up well, and no issues with performance. Before the ceramic I would switch out the rotors to Bosch and that also cured the issue, but the ceramic pads are a cheaper option if you have run into the same issue.

I have a 22 and have no squeaking as of yet, 18k on truck. Most all millage has been pulling a trailer.

steve hughes

Make sure you get caliper lube and clean the slides and the mounting brackets before going back together

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Just did 3 brakes jobs on my fleet at home. Ordered parts from Rock Auto. Used Power Stop Evolution Geomet Coated rotors and Z36 pads on my F-150, very happy with them after 2,000 miles. Bosch QuietCast products on my sons Kia Suv because they were on clearance and Raybestos Element3 on a Nissan. Prices even with shipping were 1/2 what NAPA and Auto Zone wanted. Think I paid $180 for the F-150 2 rotors and top of the line pads with the 5% DISCOUNT CODE. NAPA was like $400 for similar stuff. Stay away from Drilled rotors, also go with a coated rotor to prevent rust.

JEREMY
    BP

If you got 77k out of originals pulling trailers why not stick with oem.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I’ve had good luck with both Raybestos Element3 and Powerstop Evolution from Rock Auto on my half tons.

B-man

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I never once heard them squeak. In fact they didn’t make a sound until I recently heard and felt “the rumble” shock

Glad I wasn’t on a 1,000 mile road trip.

dbright
    Cambridge

I have used O’Reilly for years on previous trucks and cars. I replaced all calipers rotors and pads less then 30k ago. I have had 3 of the 4 calipers go bad and replaced 2 of the rotors. Don’t buy carrier bearing or u joints for your truck there either.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have used O’Reilly for years on previous trucks and cars. I replaced all calipers rotors and pads less then 30k ago. I have had 3 of the 4 calipers go bad and replaced 2 of the rotors. Don’t buy carrier bearing or u joints for your truck there either.

I try to avoid oriley at all cost. I’ve seen more bad parts come from that place over anywhere else

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

You can get crappy parts at all the part stores and they all carry premium versions of those crappy parts. The main difference is in specific lines like ignition parts, brakes and bearings.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You can get crappy parts at all the part stores and they all carry premium versions of those crappy parts. The main difference is in specific lines like ignition parts, brakes and bearings.

100 percent, but I’ve seen more oriley parts fail over anywhere else. Just a observation I have made over all my years of running beater trucks and wrenching in my garage.

mojogunter

That was my concern when I went with ceramic, but no issues at all with stopping. My driving style must be the reason I have issues with squeaking starting as soon as 8k miles on my current truck. I don’t tow anything really heavy. My 621 ranger and my daughter’s 39′ travel trailer.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>
    I switched out my brake pads at 15k on my current to ceramic pads and that stopped the noise

I think on heavier applications they have them metallic for better stopping power, not sure if the ceramic will work as well.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

That was my concern when I went with ceramic, but no issues at all with stopping.

Good to know it’s working out fine. waytogo

mojo

I can without hesitation, highly recommend the Power Stop Z36 Tow-rated complete front and rear set with slotted and cross-drilled rotors and carbon fiber ceramic pads.
    I have them on my 1500 HD, and my Yukon Denali, as well as a lighter duty set on a Hyundai Santa Fe and Honda CR-V. The tow rated sets are amazing at the improvement in stopping large vehicles pulling a load. Never have to worry about over heating going downhill with a trailer.
    The set comes complete with all four rotors, pads, stainless steel shims, new caliper pin boots and pin lube. Very high quality set. From a quick search on RockAuto it looks like your set would be around $809.
    Whatever you get, make sure to follow the break-in procedure EXACTLY, and do the job in a location that will allow you to perform a proper break-in immediately after install. Basically you want to get the pads and rotors hot, but do NOT come to a complete stop.

B-man

Well it started with the front brakes and found why they were grinding.

The passenger side had a seized up caliper pin (allows the caliper to float) and caused one pad to wear unevenly.

The driver side looked like it had 25,000 miles left.

Then I got to the rear. The pads were in pretty good shape even though there were some seized up pins.

But I found the rear driver side was wet with gear oil and need to pull the axle and replace the axle seal…. mad

Might as well do the rear diff fluid since I’m making a mess anyway lol

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240206-154521.png

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.