Lakemaster and Navionics on a 997

• dave53
    Altoona, WI

I’ve seen a few posts on the difference between the Lakemaster and Navionics chips and wondered if anyone else has had this situation.

I had a Lowrance 337c with a lakemster chip for WI and MN and was happy with the chips, but decided I wanted to play with the side imaging, so picked up a 997 when they were closing them out at Cabela’s. Since I live in WI, I picked up a WI Lakemaster chip for it and I seem to “outrun” the screen. As I motor across the lake, the screen refresh on the GPS seems too slow, so I am usualy looking at a blank screen. I fish some in MN, so I picked up a Navionics Chip that covers both states and don’t seem to have the same problem with it. I’ve thought about picking up a MN Lakemaster chip as folks seem to think they show a little better defintion, but not if I’m going to have problems with it.

So, is this typical, or do I have a bad WI chip?

Is this the penalty for cheaping out and getting a 997 when the 998 were available. (I was told they are basically the same except for processor speed and that I would only notice it when saming waypoints)

Do the Navionics chips process information differently, so it is not an issue?

Any ideas, opinions, advice? All are welcomed.

Thanks,

Dave

mojogunter

That happens if you are zoomed in too tight, so it has to redraw too quickly.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Not sure why but the LM chips are very slow to load. I have no issues with my nav chips.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Quote:

That happens if you are zoomed in too tight, so it has to redraw too quickly.

X2 zoom out some when up on plane.

dave53
    Altoona, WI

Thanks for the tip. Just one of many things I have to learn about how to get the most out my unit. Luckily, I have access to a web full of experts.

Now I just need open water to test this out.

Thanks again,

Dave

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

What seems to help also is don`t use the course up, North up seems to help when out running the screen. North up it does not have to refresh as much.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Not sure why but the LM chips are very slow to load. I have no issues with my nav chips.

Lake Master chips have way more info on them than Navonics. I guess that kind of speaks to what you get with each chip. The 997 has a slower processor than the 998 and need to have the updates as well as not zooming in closer than 500′ (1000′ is better) when up and running and setting North up instead of direction up.

The Navonics chips are just lacking in the depth contours (detail) and accuracy. At least that’s what I’ve noticed with my 2008 Navonics Premium Chip. Not sure if they’ve fixed this for 2010/2011 chips.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Lakemaster’s chip have more detail/data to load at a given zoom range so older machines will load the LM data slower. The newer dual processor GPS units have solved this issue.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Lake Master chips have way more info on them than Navonics. I guess that kind of speaks to what you get with each chip. The 997 has a slower processor than the 998 and need to have the updates as well as not zooming in closer than 500′ (1000′ is better) when up and running and setting North up instead of direction up.

The Navonics chips are just lacking in the depth contours (detail) and accuracy. At least that’s what I’ve noticed with my 2008 Navonics Premium Chip. Not sure if they’ve fixed this for 2010/2011 chips.

Sorry, didn’t mean to pile on. I didn’t read all the way through before responding.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.