Humminbird Side Imaging in a Search/Rescue setting

• jhalfen

I spent this evening working with the Chippewa County Sherrif’s office, doing what amounted to an orientation to Humminbird’s industry-leading Side Imaging technology for their dive team. We collected a LOT of screen captures of SCUBA and free divers working between the surface and the lake bottom.

I’ll post a full description of our activities tomorrow, but for now, check out these images. The first two are of a free diver swimming towards, but not quite on, the bottom. In the second image, his head is toward the bottom of the frame and his legs towards the top. The third image was the group from tonight, including Lt. Mitch Gibson (seated in the WX-2000T with me) and the four members of the dive team, reviewing some of the screen captures on the water.

More pics tomorrow, I promise!

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I have goose bumps!! That is so cool.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Spent some time talking with our local search and rescue/dive team. They are also running the side imaging, have seen them out a few times practicing with their gear. Never want to be in a situation to be using MOB or have to scan for a person. Cool images, nice work Jason!

whittsend

Do they run the same sonar units that we run, or are theirs “specilized” in some way?

i.e., do they run the 997 or 1197, or do they run some other special unit?

Mike

jhalfen

Mike, we used a stock 1197 for the orientation. More info soon…

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

That is great that you Jason and specialty Skeeter Boat center are taking the time to educate the Sheriff Office on the new advances in the Marine electronics world so that they can better serve us.

jhalfen

Kevin, I think the answer to your question is Sheriff’s office.

dave53
    Altoona, WI

Jason,

We could have used you on Otter Lake Saturday for a different kind of search and rescue. I took a father and son fishing and when we came in for lunch we saw someone splashing around in the water. Our first thought was someone fell out of the boat, but when we got closer we were told that they hit a stump and their motor flew off the boat and sank to the bottom. The swimmer was not in that bost, but from another boat that offered to help by diving down looking for it. We did a few passes to see if we could see anything, but my locator didn’t have good enough resolution or they were not correct in where they thought it went down. They didn’t seem to let it spoil their day as we saw them later in the day pushing the oars around the lake.

Might have been a good test for your side imaging technology.

If anyone gets out to Otter, it was just off the south landing, heading north between the shore and the island, near the north end of the island.

Dave

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.