NVB Mapping & Hot Maps

• jdx

I ‘m trying to back off on the competitive archery and get my fishing boat out more, sad to say in the last three years it sat in the garage all but 1 afternoon.

I am going to put the 997 in my boat and I had the idea of getting the Nav Gold – Hot maps pkg model right away so no matter where I end up I have mapping that said more the likely I will only be fishing WI. maybe some MI and you never know possibly Canada some day.

Now I will admit I’m outta the loop on the map card things, but what would you really have to do for fishing locally around here and have the best gps and lake mapping , do you just get a certain chip and pop it in when your fishing versus the model with the stuff programmed in?

A good resource mentioned the card vs programming

Thanks Folks
    Jeff

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Jeff:

where’s here???

Mark

jdx

Central Wisconsin — Marshfield

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Jeff:

Your two best options are the Navionics North and the Lakemaster WI. If you are going to fish MI, you may want to check with Lakemaster regarding the MI chip. You will pay about a $100 for the Lakemaster and only get WI. But that chip works really nicely, more detail, faster response, etc. You will get more (different states) with the Navionics North for about $150. Detail is decent if you have a larger screen. I have the 5″ screen and it gets a bit more difficult to read in the boat. Your response time will be slower. Not exactly sure what types of response the chips will do in the in the Hummingbird.

Mark

whittsend

Keep in mind that HB does not support Lakemaster chips…

So Navionics North is basically the one you want to go with unless you plan on using a separate chartplotter that will run Lakemaster.

The separate chips (vs pre-programmed chartplotter units) are nice if you run other units… For example, I also have a Lowrance H2Oc that runs both lakemaster and navionics chips. I have the Navionics North for my 997, but I can remove the card and use it in my H2Oc for ice fishing, etc…

Mike

acar555
    Omaha, NE

The preloaded NVB (navionics value bundle) are 2006 maps. If the lake you are most interested in have not been updated since then the bundle is a good value, but there has been quite a few lakes added to the total since 2006. A 2009 North hot maps premium chip might be you best choice for the most current maps.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I suggest the 997C with basemap and then get the Navionics Hotmaps Premium North 2009 SD card.

jdx

Thanks for the info folks

Jeff

acar555
    Omaha, NE

Humminbird did announce at ICast a new base map called Humminbird Contour XD, that will have countours for like 2-3000 lakes built in.

web page

scroll down and click on Humminbird #1 video.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.