Humminbird Side Imaging reveals suspended crappies

• jhalfen

If you’ve been following some of the Humminbird Side Imaging threads here in our forum, you’ve seen many examples of how Humminbird’s proven Side Imaging technology can identify any number of different types of underwater structure. Here’s an example of how this technology can directly contribute to putting more fish in your boat….by identifying fish, and how they are relating to structure.

While trying to piece together a bite under difficult weather conditions, my father-in-law Tim and I were scouting some deep weed beds with my Humminbird 1197c. In “scout” mode, I typically motor along between 4 and 5 mph, looking for promising structure and/or fish. As you can see in the first screen capture, I was moving along in about 20 feet of water, with weed beds to port (and open basin to starboard). While scouting this weed edge, I noticed a cloud of returns directly under the boat. Thinking that they might be crappies, I quickly switched into a split-screen mode, allowing me to see the down-looking returns (on the left) at the same time as the Side Imaging returns. Sure enough, the cloud of returns that I saw with Side Imaging certainly appears to be a school of fish.

Knowing that summer crappies will set up off the deep edges of weedbeds, I stopped the boat and suggested to Tim that he toss a jig/minnow in the direction of the school we had passed over. One cast later…an 11.5″ crappie was flopping around in the boat. We spent long enough on this school to augment our pre-holiday fish fry, before moving on in search of weed edge walleyes.

Humminbird’s Side Imaging technology will do more than show structure. It will show you the fish as well….but the rest is up to you.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

That’s pretty cool Jason, I could see one those things working great on helping dial in the crappies.

Here again, If I got one I’d probably spend more time out on the boat playing around with it than actually fishing…

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

That’s pretty cool Jason, I could see one those things working great on helping dial in the crappies.

Here again, If I got one I’d probably spend more time out on the boat playing around with it than actually fishing…

But then you would have to call it CATCHING

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Quote:

But then you would have to call it CATCHING

whittsend

Jason, could you add the red arrow and crappie label to the third image? I’m not sure where the crappie is in that one…

boos1906

That’s pretty cool jason! Thanks for the pics and info.

jdx

Jason

If I not mistaken you have worked your way up to the 1197

If this is the case how would you compare the ability to see and catch this type of detail?
    I have seen a lot of images posted on here that were from the 1197, but would you have the same results with the smaller units. I can see many that would see this info and be pricing units in their $ range and then expect to see what’s being posted here.

A good example is the wifey is fine with the 798ci SI NVB but with my aging eyes I think I would prefer the larger screen of the 997c SI NVB here in WI.

Can you give your view points in comparison and the transition as you upgraded?

Thanks

Jeff

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Should check out page 2 of this forum, Jason has already published a comparison.

1197 vs 997

Even though I had already purchased my 997 prior to this article I could not justify the extra money for the 1197 and also was concerned mounting this big thing on a RAM mount. Love my 997.

jhalfen

The 1197 is VERY easy on the eyes while driving or trolling from the transom. For that reason alone, I’d tend towards the 1197. You’ll see very comparable performance from both the 997 and the 1197.

Side note: I had James Holst in the boat last week. He’s running a 798, flush mounted on his console. After doing a bit of imaging with my 1197, James said he was ready to pull his 798 out of the dash and replace it with a larger screen unit. The larger screens make a world of difference in identifying structure and fish!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.