SI Frustrations

• orangewhip3x
    Blaine

Well…here we go again. The third time I’m sending in my 997C SI. They still haven’t fixed it. Do any of you think my install would cause the problems you see in the pictures? No left side image and and poor resolution at other times. I’m also having notable issues with the directional button. It is too sensitive. Install good? Humminbird gave me a loaner for a cool $800 until they get my unit back to me. The high speed works perfectly at 54mph…and gives great 2D returns

BShimp
    Hudson, WI

I noticed the transducer is close to the screen for the livewell. Perhaps there is cavitation or interference from that.

jhalfen

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I’d recommend that you send your transducer in as well.

Excellent point about the transducer and that livewell pickup.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Also could be interference with the other 2 ducers on the back. Are the other 2 in working order? What are they used for?

Joby

The blockage could be coming from the screens on the back of the boat. One that you can do is unscrew the transducer and turn the transducer around in the same place and see if you get blockage on the right side since you turned the transducer or just place the transducer or the side and see if you get a clear image.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Does your boat sit level, port to starboard?

KirtH
    Lakeville

Yep i bet the screen on your livewell pu is blocking the signal, mine was, I took a piece of transducer board and bumped it out that much farther walla fixed

kinny

I dont think that’s a clearance issue with your livewell screen, I have the same setup as yours and mine works just fine. Actually, my livewell screen sticks out even further than yours does. The only other thing that I can think of is if there is a lot of turbulence from rivets, welds… being created by your hull at the very point that you’ve installed the transducer.

This really sucks for you, the screen shot you posted is really crappy. With 17 ft of water and 3mph you should be getting excellent images.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh yeah, one other thing. There’s two different frequencies that you can run on your SI, try both of them. I get almost nothing with one and perfect images with the other. (I think I use 455khz all the time, and the 800khz doesnt work no matter what I do, or something like that, I dont remember the exact frequencies sitting here at the computer.)

reddog

Well, I for one think that it is cool as heck for them to give you a “loaner”, even if it cost $800.00 deposit. How does that “loaner” unit function with your setup?

What kind of water does the transducer throw when going down the lake?

Page 14 of the manual says that “on outboards or IOs, it is best to locate the transducer at least 15” to the side of the propeller(s). Its obvious that is not the case in your situation, so that could be a variable. Youre trying to shoot thru water that may have too much prop turbulence. Moving it right, would also raise the transducer slightly more above the prop, depending on the dead rise of the hull.

The transducer appear to be tipped too far down in relation to the bottom of the boat. I realize I’m only guessing here since I dont have a shot from that angle, but I would try adjusting it in a perfect plane with the bottom of the boat,(use a straightedge at least 36″ long) not tipped down any further than needed.

I agree, the directional arrows are very sensitive, but only when making large movements in the gps mode, like when you’re in simulator mode and the gps defaults you to Florida somewhere and you need to move up to Minnesota. It goes in leaps and bounds to get you there. I overshoot alot of times also. Certainly not anything to get excited about, in my opinion.

There are 3 things it could be. 997 itself, the transducer, or the installation.

I think sending in the unit alone is not a good idea, because Humminbird cannot eliminate one of their sources of a potential problem.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Won`t help the left side reading but what are you using for sensitivity and scroll speed? Are you using SI enhanced mode?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.