Side Imaging objects right under the boat

• jhalfen

We’ve had a chance now to see how Humminbird Side Imaging handles objects that are off to the sides of the boat. Trees look like trees. Cribs looks like big boxy cribs. Rocks look like….rocks. How does Humminbird Side Imaging deal with things that are right under the boat, in the area that is normally covered by traditional 2D down-looking sonar? Very well indeed!

Rather than looking out to the sides, we’ll be focusing our attention in the middle of the screen capture, in the dark blue stripe that represents the water column right under the boat. The junction between the dark blue water column and the lighter return is the bottom directly beneath the boat.

First is a fish….a big one, probably a musky, based on the area where I captured the image. It’s certainly a long fish that is oriented nearly parallel to the direction of the boat’s travel. The fish itself is the bright white return in the middle of the dark blue stripe. It appears to be about 10 feet down over 18 feet of water. It’s on the starboard side of the boat…because it’s shadow (red arrow) only appears on the right side image.

jhalfen

Here is a single, isolated tree that is almost right under the boat. The branches can be seen in both side images (just a bit on the left, more on the right), while the trunk is clerly visible (green dot) only on the right.

jhalfen

Here is a rockpile that I’ve started calling the “nipple”. The nipple is manmade (note the very regular shape) and is in an area that is littered with fish cribs.

Note that the nipple appears in both side images, right at the junction of the dark blue water column and the lighter bottom, meaning that I’ve driven right over the top of it. Note also that all of the cribs are found to the left of the nipple…in this case, between the nipple and the shoreline. There also appears to be a couple of cribs on the nipple itself.

whittsend

Great images!!

Here is another under the boat image, over 20 fow. Small rockpile.

kris_brantner
    My river

what do u think of this image? i captured it just before i hit it

jhalfen

Hopefully, you did more damage to the tree than it did to you.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Jason, do you still fish when your in the boat? Great pics very informative. Also when can I see your new bird?

jhalfen

I still fish….or rather, I help others fish from my boat.

I occasionally still get to crank in a fish from time to time.

If you can get away for a day next week Mark, come up to Leech to pre-fish.

whittsend

Jason – I see what looks to be a switchover from the 997 to the 1197… How big of an advantage is that larger screensize in your opinion?

Mike

jhalfen

I’ll have a thread going on that shortly.

I didn’t switch over….just had a chance to test drive one over the weekend.

I think there are some definite advantages to the 1197, beyond the “bigger is better” argument.

whittsend

oooohh… I like that one!!

Any idea as to the ID of the fish?

reddog

Nope, no idea what kind of fish these are. This shot is a dredge hole formed when they built Interstate 90 thru South Dakota. It is closed for fishing from December-May, so I wasnt able to put a line in the water.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.