998 ducer

• yummymuskie
    A River.

so i just got a 998 and it came with the flip up mount, it is kinda wobbly, is that going to be a problem, also the bolts that allow the ducer itself to pivot dont seem to hold it very tight as i can tilt it by hand, and i have tightened the allen screws down as tight as im willing to go for fear of breaking something.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

On the side imaging ducers there is about a 1/4″ of play when everything is tight. That is normal. As for flipping all the way up real easy, I cant say that I have ever noticed that.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

I used a few washers to help tighten things up. My ducer isn’t in a location where it can be damaged, so I didn’t feel the need for the breakaway action.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

sometimes the steel u channel that you screw to the transom gets deformed, just take a large plier and squeeze the sided in slightly.

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

I too just installed a new 998 and SI transducer. Sounds like something isnt installed correctly. Mine two wiggles a little bit when in down position (been out twice and has not been an issue) however when I tightened my allen screw down it takes quite a bit of force for it to pivot to the up position. Make sure your washers (all of them) are in the right locations. There should be two cammed washers with bumps on them that sit outside the transducer facing outside towards inside of medal bracket. Good luck. If you have more issues post a pic or small video. Would be able to help more with more info.

yummymuskie
    A River.

its the black plastic bracket the ducer attaches to that is allowing it to pivot, the main bolt that holds it all to the metal bracket is plenty tight, other than the little amount of movement, i will shoot a small video of what im trying to describe tonight.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

First time i installed my transducer i believe i scanned the instructions, which if i recall, were something like 30 pages worth on this subject entirely.

I’ll guess you didn’t read it at all?

Also,
    I just tightened everything up, Been running SI for over 4 years and haven’t broken the duecer yet. Punctured a few holes in my hull from rocks/logs, but duecer is still finding fish.
    Not necessary to have the “Break away” Feature, but if it gives you peace of mind…

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I pick my unit up this weekend, and was concerned about this, as I have broken two off on my older Lowrance skimmer. If anyone has good images or such, love to see them… I’ll be putting on a Lund Fisherman. Good to hear these flip up versions work.

yummymuskie
    A River.

i read them so much i could install this in my sleep, unless i didnt get all the parts its installed correctly, also i dont think there is a way to mount mine with the parts included with using the break away part of it.

yummymuskie
    A River.

yea, i forgot to take a quick vid last night, i will also post a few pics tonight.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Says you need a google account to log in and view

reddog

Wobbliness is fine. If you have the correct washers in place you can tighten the Allen sctews. Yes you will be able to manually move the tail of the transducer up and down with enough effort. Tighten it up and go fishing

bls1984
    wells,mi

had same issue with my 1198 . add a stainless washer and bend the metal tabs in a bit. if you hit something hard enough to break something it will still pop up

yummymuskie
    A River.

well i learned yesterday the breakaway part works just fine, had a small log find its way under the boat, but i think i may have hit a triple when mounting it, little more placement fine tuning and should be good to go.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.