1198c SI Depth Issues

• flatlandfowler

I seem to be having an issue with my new 1198c SI making contact with the bottom. I installed this unit a few months ago bran new, and used it alot from May-June. My schedule got busy and tonight was the first time I’ve been out in my boat in roughly 6 weeks. Right off the bat I noticed my DI was not adjusting to changes in depths, and SI seemed to be running slow regardless of SI speed. I know that if you don’t create contact with bottom, the unit will update slower so I feel this issue is tied to my depth issue.

The issue is that the depth reading is changing at a rather rapid pace between 400 some to 1200 feet deep. Every 20-40 seconds the depth display will blink the same number, which I assume is indicating that it is not locating bottom. This issue persisted consistently through all depth from 3-20 odd feet. I restarted multiple times at different depth and speeds, checked system status, etc. The SI image appears well except for the fact that it runs slow (again likely due to not making bottom contact), and the DI image appears good (except it is way out of scale due to adjusting for erroneous depths).

Have any of you experienced this? And if so, how can I go about trouble shooting this issue? I am pulling all the wiring tomorrow to check physical issues. This unit is a 2013, less than 100 hours on it, worked 100% up through the last outing; including full speed at 37mph with just a little surface clutter after 5mph.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Check the wiring for nics and the connector for light corrosion. If those are all good, the ducer could have just went bad. Is it a transom mount ducer or thru-hull? Make sure it is still glued down if it is a thru-hull. Your still under warranty so make sure you contact HB also!

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Do you have a thru the hull transducer as well as the ducer that came qith it? My thought is that the Y cable is lose and your unit ia struggling to figure out what ducer ti go with?

Is your transducer connected tightly amd in the proper angle?

flatlandfowler

Thanks for the quick responses. It is a transom mounted ducer. This is the only unit I have in the boat at this time so there are no other units or ducers connected that could be interfering. I am going to pull the wiring and check connections tonight.

The transducer is secured tightly. The angle has not changed from when it was working prior.

flatlandfowler

Found my problem, as well as several others. Unreal. Some how a mouse made its way into my boat. Still haven’t figured out how without it having to scale vertical steel or fiberglass as some point. Any ways, it managed to make its way into some wire housing near the corner of my transom. Managed to chew through my ducer wire, wires to both live wells, navigation lights wire, bilge pump wire, part of my humminbird power cable, and twice through one of my speaker wires; all in one location.

Thanks for the offered help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.