New to Bird!! Please Help!!

• average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Hey Guys

I’ve been a long time lowrance guy and when I say long time, I mean lowrance is all I’ve really used.

I recently stepped into a Ranger 618vs, that was equipped with Humminbird electronics. It currently has a 898C SI, and a 788C. However I just purchased 2 new 1198C SI units, and I’m just wondering what are you’re thoughts on the Humminbird electronics, and how easy are they to use/navigate? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and if you can offer any assistance with giving me a tutorial please drop me a pm. Thank You!!

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Thanks Guys

I appreciate all your help.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Like any quality electronics in/on a boat, the transducers need to be set properly for your application and rig. If the ducers are correct, the H/birds are very easy to use,read, and navigate through. As long as my boat is in contact with water I can read the bottom and identify bottom density up to about 52 mph with the glassed in transducer I put in. My rig has the stepped transom and my main transducer is out of the water while on plane.
    I made the switch when the 1197 was introduced, and couldn’t be happier.
    Jason did a good job writing up some helpful hints, and there is a LOT of info and recommendations if you scan back through the H/bird gear forum here on IDO.

j-eye
    La Crosse, WI

I was a long time lowrance user as well. Went to birds last year and found them to be much more user friendly. Adjustments to settings are easy and the preset buttons are a must. With a few hours on the water using them you should not be disappointed.

Jim Kissinger
    Markesan WI

I was new to hummingbird this season and you will be more then happy with them. I got a ton of help on this site guys are great to help. I also went to you tube and you will have all the info you need also try he has some great info

Yamagator
    Buffalo, MN

plungepool,

I may be the odd ball here but I have the Humminbird 788ci up front on the trolling motor and a Lowrance HDS 5 on the Dash. I like both units about the same. Neither are difficult to use. I can confirm the Humminbird customer service is excellent as they traded out a transducer and a few parts for free. I’ve only heard bad things about Lowrance customer service – no opinion on that yet.

I’m sure you will be happy with your new Humminbird electronics.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.