Humminbird gps units question

• josh_holliday
    Oxford, Wi

I am looking at getting my 16yr old son a locator/GPS unit for his boat and want a decent unit. can anyone tell me about the Humminbird units with the internal antenna. Do they work well? I am trying to stay away from lowrance as I have had problems with them. any suggestions.

mojogunter

I have two friends running the 500 series humminbird I am pretty sure they have an internal antenna, and they have been flawless for them.

Quote:

I am looking at getting my 16yr old son a locator/GPS unit for his boat and want a decent unit. can anyone tell me about the Humminbird units with the internal antenna. Do they work well? I am trying to stay away from lowrance as I have had problems with them. any suggestions.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I have a 4 year old 788ci on the console. Has sat behind a full windsheild on both my boats and have never had an issue getting god signal. It has been a great unit for me.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I run all H/Bird in my boat and I am so pleased that I went that route. The units have worked flawlessly for me.
    I get clients that just want to get “something nice, but they don’t fish everyday…” From there, its really budget orientated to screen size. The H/bird 597 is a solid unit and I have received a lot of great feedback from people that have bought/used that unit. H/Bird 597
    The 798 has been at the top of the range of what I know a few people have purchased. The 798 w/ internal GPS runs about $1K Without knowing your budget, hard to make a recommendation. But I’ve been out with guys that have these units in their boat, and they performed well.

DCO
    Eau Claire, WI

I have a 788ci and a 787c2 that both work great! Never loses signal.I am replacing both this year for larger units. Humminbird is the way to go IMO..

reddog

788CI is the way to go..

If he likes to ice fish, this unit is easily converted to a portable ice fishing machine also.

Fishalert
    Florida

I just purchased a 581i from Cabalas for less than 300. I’ve only used it one time but so far I really like it. It’s not color but I couldn’t afford a more expensive one. You might check them out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.