HB AutoChart feature on standard 32GB SDHC card

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

From reading around on a bunch of forums it looks like I can save autochart data (GPS+sonar data) directly to a micro SD card on my new Helix 7 G3 SI Mega. The answer I can never find is do I need the zeroline card to turn this into a map on my computer if I only ever need to view my autchart map on my Helix?

Put in other words. Can I solely use my 32gb card and autochart to it and then the Helix can read that data and will always show it to me on a map on my unit? I assume this is how the internal 8hrs of storage works. But no one has been able to answer this simple q for me.

I appreciate the help. Thanks!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

The answer I can never find is do I need the zeroline card to turn this into a map on my computer if I only ever need to view my autchart map on my Helix?

yes and no, let’s break that down into two parts. First, if you want to do maps on the computer you’ll need a zero line card and autochart software for the pc.

Second, can you record to a standard micro sd card and read off that same standard card on the same head unit? Meaning no zero line card is needed to record and play back on the same head unit.

Let’s see is someone is smarter than me, I don’t think so but will be following this thread.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Ok, so unit will automatically know to write to the 32gb sd card and not the internal memory? And until I map an area the gps will just show up as blank?

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

When I installed the zero line card, it came up on the unit something like Autochart will now record on card. If I remember correctly it says it every time the unit is powered on. Since the Helix 7 only has 1 card slot, you should be able to see the standard base map.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I installed my unit last night. Its awesome. I am headed to Ontario in a few days and will try out the autochart. I bought a 32gb mirco SD and installed it into my unit.

I want to make sure my sonar data writes to this 32gb card and not to the small internal memory. When I go into autochart settings I CANNOT toggle off the standard of memory setting ===> “internal”

How do I get this data to write to my SD card so I can record over 8hrs. I can’t find anything online on this. Will it automatically do this?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Unfortunately, you’ll have to spend the $100 and get the Autochart Zerolines card. A blank SD won’t work.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

After a morning of reading, unfortunately both Joe and patk are correct.

With a blank SD card you can do 2 things AND ONLY 2 things.

1) Move sonar data (aka autochart mapping data) from internal memory onto the SD card.
    2) Write mapping data directly to the SD card but NOT view it at the same time overlayed on a map on your unit.

With this RAW sonar data on your SD card you can then import it into Autochart PC program (seperately purchased) to create a map. That map can then be saved ONLY onto a Auto Zero Line card or other mapping card.

With Zero line card, and no PC software you can save and view maps right on your unit without a computer until it is full.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I did a bunch of reading as well and came to the same conclusions on Evan’s last post.

Broke down and got a new Helix 7 yesterday with the intent to map a lake in Ontario. Now I’m contemplating autochart pc software + zero lines card.

The last thing I can’t figure out. Can you record on the zero lines card and then use that to import to the autochart software on the computer? We know it can be exported to the zero lines but can’t find any reference to importing.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Can you record on the zero lines card and then use that to import to the autochart software on the computer?

I believe the answer is yes, you can import with either any card, zero line or SDHC, I am not 100% sure on this tho.

Broke down and got a new Helix 7 yesterday with the intent to map a lake in Ontario. Now I’m contemplating autochart pc software + zero lines card.

This is exactly why I got the autochart mapping. I went this weekend and mapped a lake in ontario. Man is that feature slick. Here are some pics. Granted I took them mainly to show how awesome it is to video game fish lake trout. But either way, there is some mapping shot in the pics.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2944.jpg

2. IMG_2943-1.jpg

3. IMG_2943.jpg

4. IMG_2945.jpg

5. IMG_2957.jpg

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Of course what would good mapping be if it didn’t help you catch more )

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2958.jpg

2. IMG_2941.jpg

3. IMG_2942.jpg

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Nice! I am glad it worked for you. Looks like fun! Thanks for posting results.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Freaking awesome!!!! I’m so hoping I can post similar next month. Never caught a lake trout and need to get that off the list.

Update on recording to a standard micro sd 32gb card. Set my new unit up. Was unable to set Autochart to save to the card. It wouldn’t let me move off “Internal”.

However I was able to turn on Sonar Recording and it did save to the card. In a separate operation I could turn Autochart recording on and off. Looks like I can autochart up to 8 hours internal and record sonar but need to manage each separately.

Chip Cromarty

Anything “Autochart” requires Zero Lines card. Sonar recordings, nav data, software updates, etc. can use any SD/microSD card (card size appropriate for the head unit – my g1 10″ uses full size SD, my g3 9″ uses microSD).

Autochart live recordings are imported to the Autochart PC program via the zero lines card. The only way to bring mapping data back to the head unit is via the Lakemaster maps created in the PC program, on the Zero Lines card. I had a few buddies that attempted to combine raw AutoChart live data files made by several different finders to share data. It did not work. I suspect the issue might have been multiple files with the same name.

You can put your AutoChart PC maps on multiple Zero Lines cards, but you need to recreate the map each time. Depending on the size of the area mapped, this might take a while. It takes me about 1-1/2 hours to create the Lakemaster maps for the water I fish.

I used Autochart live raw data for the maps on my unit for 3 years, this summer will be the first time I have used Autochart PC generated maps, I am excited for the extra detail and highlight options this will provide.

Here is a tip for the guys using Autochart live raw data for their maps – if you turn off contour lines, the map will refresh much faster. My unit was able to refresh the maps fast enough to keep up at 30 mph with contours turned off.

Cheers!

Attachments:
    1. ACss.jpg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.