Moose Lake

• targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I will be heading to moose lake the second weekend in may. I was just curious who has fished this lake and what they think of it?

jhalfen

Moose is fun. Stained water. Lots of stumps. Abundant smallies and nice walleyes.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

too bad you are not going after Memorial Day. Lots of muskie.

staads
    Eau Claire, Wi

definitely a good walleye lake. i always get into some nice crappies too while jigging for eyes. in case you didn’t already know, motor trolling is not permitted. just a heads up because they watch that pretty close. if you make it back up later in the year the muskie bit is pretty consistent. if you don’t have any luck there u can always jump to any of the close surrounding lakes like spider and teal. both produced nice fish for me last year. good luck and lets us know how u do.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

It’s a great lake. I’ve mostly fished it in Sept. and Oct. for Muskies. There are some areas to watch out for as far as stumps, sudden shallows etc. If the water is high they may be harder to distinguish. Good luck and enjoy.

jhalfen

Shhhhh…..beetle spins in the stumps…..Shhhhhh!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Jason:

That’s a good one!!! LOL We (brother-in-law, Kurt) used to give my father-in-law a hard time fishing those in the stumps on Nelson Lake. We were in 8′ of water, in the wood and I think we were using slip bobbers. He would always get snagged and we were catching walleyes. One of the best fishing trips I ever had in the Hayward area.

Now both of them are fishing with the big guy upstairs. They both went too early, Geno (60) and Kurt (42). I remember at Geno’s funeral on Lake Ripley, we actually fished with one off the dock and we actually caught fish that day (never caught much off the dock at that restaurant), he was looking down us!!!

I bet those stumps are shallower!!! Great lake!!!

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

targa:

In May, 10′ and under, IMHO. Moose is fairly stained (tannic) as I remember it, therefore you should be able to stay shallow if you can find a concentration of fish. As Jason mentioned you are looking for wood and warmer water and those guys are fairly snag resistant in a horizontal application. Geno was always trying to jig them and you need to be moving them close to the bottom, but not vertically. I have also replaced the plastic with the real deal in terms of a minnow with some success.

Mark

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.