Hayward Lakes Ice Update, 2/11-2/12/06

• jhalfen

I had a chance to spend most of the weekend up on Spider Lake, east of Hayward, looking for some mid-winter eyes and pannies. Finding them and seeing them on the camera was easy. Getting them to eat, however, was a bit more challenging.

First, an ice conditions update: 11-12″ of good ice. 8-12″ of fluffy snow on top. Slush starting to form near shore. Overall decent traveling conditions, but limited to snow machine or foot travel….I didn’t see anybody drive on all weekend.

As I mentioned above, fishing was great while catching was slow. Our presentation for eyes was to find the base of steep weed-lined breaks, and to set tip-ups with walleye suckers or shiners in 18-24 fow. We also set flags up on the weed flats, but these only produced LM Bass. These bass are lethargic! They would pop the flag but then barely move, and hardly fight at all on the way to the hole. Eye action was limited to the last hour of daylight. Pannies were everywhere in the weed flats, but the best depths for numbers was 14-16 fow. We saw gazillions of gills, perch and crappies, in addition to numerous bass and even a nice-sized musky patrolling the weed flats. Presentations for the gills were waxies on small ice jigs. Perch preferred minnows or minnow heads.

The first photo is of our best eye of the weekend, a somewhat skinny 18″ male. This guy needs to hit the buffet a little more often. The rest of the photos are of some of the other scenery from the weekend, including the bluegill festival taking place over some deep weeds.

There’s still a few weeks remaining in the WI gamefish season. Hayward will be hosting some fun family events during the next couple of weeks, including the Walleyes for NW Wisconsin ice fishing tournament on LCO next Saturday, and then of course the 52 km Birkebeiner XC-ski marathon the following weekend. Get out and enjoy what the Hayward area has to offer in February!

jhalfen

Some gills on the camera.

jhalfen

More pannies.

jhalfen

Flags at sunset on Sunday.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Fantastic report and photos Jason. You really do an excellent job sharing info here.

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

I saw those tip-up lights on sale for 7 bucks at wal-mart this weekend. I payed like 10.50 at the beginning of winter. You ever fish walleye on LCO or Grindstone??

jhalfen

I love those lights. Still going strong at the end of my second season with them. Something about seeing that red light flashing at you through the darkness that I really like.

I haven’t fished LCO or Grindstone through the ice, but I spent a few days and nights on Grindstone last summer. What a great lake. Caught more smallies and perch than eyes, but those smallies and perch were completely reliable biters when the walleyes were slow.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I saw some reports this winter on LCO in Musky Bay of some real nice size ‘eyes. There were a couple 10# plus fish pulled out of there this winter.

Last winter I heard about a good ‘eye bite on Grindstone, but didn’t hear anything this year.

I wish I could share good first hand info.

Sully

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

Ya i saw a 25″ eye caught in musky bay…but they seem like they are always on accident. There is an ABUNDANCE to say the least of small northern in that bay. I figured the sand bar around from anglers haven would be good…but i have never ice fished anywhere but musky bay.

bigpike

I ran into an old timer that was talkative when fishing upper Long and he said they were doing excellent on the walleye’s this year on Grindstone including fish up to 10 pounds…. I might need to make plans for a early season ice trip next year

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Jason, let’s touch base on those Grindstone smallies this Summer, eh?

jhalfen

Sounds good SteveO!

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I’ll leave the walldads for you. Just want some of those big smallies tugging on my line. I heard it’s a big muskie lake. Low density but BIG fish. Tough to fish very much like Whitefish?

jhalfen

Grindstone is very clear with not an overabundance of weeds. Not to say it’s weed free, it’s just that the weeds are localized in certain areas rather than evenly distributed through the lake. Grindstone is a rock/sand/reef fishery for me. Weeds on a rocky/sandy reef or point are a bonus and will help to concentrate fish. My best smallmouth catches from Grindstone have come during midsummer, after the lake has warmed up a bunch.

I have a good friend that CPRd a thick-bodied mid 40’s musky on a topwater late last July….it was a very healthy fish that hit on the edge of a rock reef on the west side of the lake. I think that your perceptions about the musky population are spot on….low density but good size structure (well, good for Hayward).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.