Have you ever seen fish come in from the bottom of your Livescope screen?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I saw this Nick Linder video clip and it showed something I’ve never seen before (Nick and the other guy in the shack noticed it and were surprised by it as well) It shows a Walleye coming up from the bottom dimension of the screen display.

This is a dimension on Livescope I’ve never seen fish displayed before, it’s almost 3 dimensional? Have you?

Wondering if it was just an imaging glitch?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have Mega live basically the same thing point the transducer straight down.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have Mega live basically the same thing point the transducer straight down.

no, of course I know of down view, i’m talking about the fish coming up from the 3rd dimension in the video clip (look at the white arrow Nick highlights it with)

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Could be a hump or drop-off that the Livescope can not show 100% and makes it look like the fish are coming from under the bottom, when they are just coming from 8-9″ deeper spot near where they are fishing?

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

I have seen that fairly often on my Active Target 1 with walleye. I have always thought that was a fish belly to the bottom starting to move.

I often see a similar thing with smallmouth in the rocks/boulders. Can’t tell its a fish in the rough terrain until there is movement.

BrianF

We’ve often noticed a 12″ to maybe 18″ ‘dead zone’ on bottom in which Livescope isn’t able to see. Example: We’ve been on massive schools of smallies that were belly-to-the-bottom and never saw them though were catching them cast after cast. At times, we’ll hold a Damiki rig above the bottom and watch them magically appear from seemingly out of nowhere.

JoeMX1825
    MN

just to reiterate, i’m talking about the start of the video where the fish swims up from the bottom edge of the screen and into the displayed bottom of the lake…it’s almost like a 3D perspective where the fish appears to be swimming away from the screen…

Ripjiggen

My thought that since it is lake Winnipeg it is coming in from a distance and that distance is a tad deeper than the way the ducer is pointing.

I have seen this before on AT.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

My best guess is that it is a software glitch showing fish below the bottom. Does Humminbird have multiple beams? And the just don’t have the stitching totally cleaned up. Maybe it could be rocks or a drop off affecting it also. I don’t remember seeing this on the Garmin Livescope.

TH

I had an eelpout show up well below the red bottom and cross the red and come hit my bait. I’m not sure I would have know what was going on and appreciated it with seeing that video. Thanks for posting it.

CaptainMusky

Ive seen this happen many times on traditional 2D sonar. Its because the fish are often at the edge of the cone and deeper than what is directly below you from what I can tell, but yes, I have seen them show up below what appears to be the bottom.

ekruger01

Ive had it happen once on Mille lacs. My theory is this.

If you look at the illustrations of a livescope beam in down view it shows side to side x amount of feet, but the beam has a width to it as well. Say your fishing three holes in a line that is inline with your sled or house. I think what happened here is it came in from the front or back on that small “width or axis” of the beam. Hard bottom with a good return it just happened to pick it up maybe…..

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2024-01-12-073733.png

JoeMX1825
    MN

I agree that’s the beam angle catching it, it’s just strange that it happens so rarely on screen though…I mean, it should be closer to 25% of the time for all 4 sides of the beam…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.