Has Clam fixed their zipper issue?

• BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

I remember hearing of some guys having problems with the zippers on their Clam shantys. Anyone know if Clam ever fixed the zipper issues with the newer ones?

Aaron Kalberer

2 year old clam portage, my zippers function as they should (will ice up once in awhile). In addition to this the new window material has yet to crack as well.

Gunflint Trail

My clams, I have both a flip over and a hub, have been great with their zippers. I put the lube on them that they recommended and it fixed any icing up that I was having.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I put the lube on them that they recommended

What specifically does Clam recommend for a lube? I’m not having any issues but a lubed zipper would be an improvement.

Aaron Kalberer

I am curious too? I used the graphite powder (?) on the poles to help them slide when I assembled per another anglers recommendation, did you use something similar? I would assume any liquid lubrication or grease would collect dust and debris and cause issues down the road?

Gunflint Trail

This is a page directly out of my Clam X300 owners manual. They recommend a gel product called Zipper Lube. I bought some online.

Fish Trap FAQ’s
    Find parts and accessories at http://www.clamoutdoors.com
    Q: The zipper on my shelter freezes up and/or sticks. Is there anything I can use to help prevent this from happening?
    A: Yes, there are a couple of zipper lubricants available that our customers and pro staff have used with good results.
    • Zipper Lube is one brand, often found in the camping section of sporting goods stores. This is a gel applied to the zipper.
    • There are also a few silicone sprays that may be used to lubricate the zipper.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Thanks! I will look into that.

Ditto
    When I do a search for “Zipper Lube” I get a ton of results. Tried to narrow it down, Gunflint, is this the product you are using? amazon link

PS. you really have to watch out what you click on when doing any search that contains the term “lube”.

404 ERROR
    MN

Chapstick works well for zipper lube and to keep them from icing up. I’ve never had an issue with the Zipper on my Kenai.

catnip
    south metro

I had a clam 6 pack for 3 seasons bought it new in 13 and no issues with the zippers or windows. I used it down to -10 i have tried silicone spray lube on a rag and rubbed into the zipers dielectric grease rubbed in and even crayons lol. All worked well.

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a Otter Pro Cabin tonight at Scheels for $500. Too good of a deal to pass up.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I had a Nanook that had two busted zippers on it. Partly my fault as one of them was broken trying to zip through some light ice. The other broke unzipping during the summer checking for mice. Also I’m battling a zipper that doesn’t like to start zipping on my Clam jacket. Thing is driving me crazy. Probably time to finally buy that Predator jacket to match my bibs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.