Has anyone slept in their hub house?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Just put a cot and big-buddy heater?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

It wouldn’t matter what kind of portable or what kind of heater, but if I was going to be sleeping in one I would have a darned good co detector in there. The heaters are great but not foolproof.

munchy
    NULL

I have a couple times. Hopefully never have to do it again. If it’s predicted to be windy I would definitely figure out a different solution. A cot and buddy heater is all I used, and I slept in my Ice Armor and boots. Still got cold and the ice becomes a slick pond. I recommend putting an insulating sleeping pad on the cot as it still gets very cold beneath you. And yes obviously a CO detector near your head.

Woodshed
    Elk River, MN

Sleeping in a tent with a CO producing heat source is a gamble. If you don’t want to gamble, equip yourself to be able to sleep comfortably without the heat on. It’s easier than you think.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Anyone remember the massive Clam Sleeper? These were the old true “Clam style” suitcase portables before the hub style shelters were introduced offering far more room for far less weight and packed away far more compact than the old suitcase portables. The advantage though, those old Clams had the floor which added warmth and you weren’t fishing (sleeping) with a wet icy floor beneath you. That and the weight of the thing didn’t have issues with wind blowing it around or collapsing sides.

I don’t remember the “Sleeper” being offered for very long perhaps for obvious reasons and that very few wanted to sleep in a portable shelter.

Attachments:
    1. Clam-Sleeper.jpg

Sam
    St.Francis

I have two of the clam sleepers they are the best portable to sleep in, I don’t like sleeping in my hub and if I’m just by myself I have stuck one inch foam under my otter sled and slept in the sled of my resort. Did it a few times last year on mille lacs

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

if I’m just by myself I have stuck one inch foam under my otter sled and slept in the sled of my resort. Did it a few times last year on mille lacs

waytogo bow

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I have two of the clam sleepers they are the best portable to sleep in, I don’t like sleeping in my hub and if I’m just by myself I have stuck one inch foam under my otter sled and slept in the sled of my resort. Did it a few times last year on mille lacs

What do you use for heat? I would think the big buddy heater with CO sensor and leaving some windows cracked would be safe?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

All the newer buddy heaters will shut off automatically if the CO sensor trips. Mine does it anyways. Typically I just unzip a door and re-lite it. As far as sleeping in one, I will pass unless I was stranded.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

All the newer buddy heaters will shut off automatically if the CO sensor trips. Mine does it anyways. Typically I just unzip a door and re-lite it. As far as sleeping in one, I will pass unless I was stranded.

No CO sensor in buddy heaters, its an oxygen sensor.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

yea no way would i do this.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

If it isn’t a vented heater I would not sleep in it.

Sam
    St.Francis

For heat I have a big buddy and crack a couple windows

Hudson8907
    NULL

Sleeping in a hub is great with a good sleeping bag, cot and pad. No heater when sleeping.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Yes, I’ve brought the cot and mummy sleeping bag…shut the heater off, toss a blanket over my head.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

If you get a good winter bag (-20 to -30 rating) you could just winter camp it with no heat. You could also double up on bags and/or blankets. A cot would be better than sleeping on the ice. Either case a closed cell pad or thermarest is a must. I’d like 2” of pad thickness. Have some water on hand. It’s surprising what a healthy swig of water will do for comfortability if you wake up chilled. Worst case you could have a buddy heater on hand to take off the edge if things got too chilly. I personally wouldn’t sleep with it on however as others have mentioned.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.