Has anyone installed one of the float/engine mounts transom extenders

• Cliff tompkins

I was looking online at some engine mounts that increased the bouancy and mount the engine rearward. I was curious if anyone was familiar with these?

munchy
    NULL

Do you have a reason where you’d want to move the motor back? They’d work to add a little buoyancy but can’t for the life of me think of a reason you’d want the motor further back. I’d rather just get the Beavertail pods that mount directly to the transom leaving the motor in place. Seems like a lot less stress on the transom.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Do you mean an offshore bracket? My boat has an offshore bracket, motor is mounted approx. 20″ farther back than the transom.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

This is an example of a true offshore bracket but I have also seen aftermarket bolt on.

Attachments:
    1. offshore1b.jpg

Cliff tompkins

Yes sir,
    My interest was stimulated after I was running and saw a similar boat as yours. When I asked the boater what was the purpose; they explained the increased stability and power increase.
    I used to have a cuddly cabby converted to sea-drive. It was similar and needed to mount the engine. I was exploring the idea, improvements and benefits of this mount and what are the drawbacks?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

The link above describes some benefits. I feel like the boat handles big water better. The ONLY drawback that I can think of is it can make landing a fish at the back of the boat a bit of a challenge on occasion.

Oh, if one parks their boat in the house garage it can be a deal breaker.

Cliff tompkins

I was told they experience better planing, lower plane speed and better performance.
    Cliff

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.