White Bass Question

• LarryMillhouse
    Lincoln, NE

How “seasonal” are the whites? Once they start chasing shad on the surface so the gulls can eat, do they keep on as long as the weather is warm? Will it last until late Sept?

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I think it’ll all depend on the weather, more than anything. I would think with this crazy heat, it would last well into Sept, but you know how this stuff can change abruptly. I know I’ve chased them around in Sept in years past, and it can be a lot of fun, but some of the worst stories I have are about the people you deal with at Harlan. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

whitetips2

The predator fish, white bass, wipers and others follow the shad! I have seen surface feeding activity into October, but generally as the water starts to cool in the fall the shad begin to move deeper and so do the shad-eaters. It depends somewhat on the weather; surface feeding activity into September usually, sometimes late September and sometimes even later than that. It depends on the weather and what the shad are doing.

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    Bauer’s Barbs and Backlashes

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

I caught them working shad on the surface on October 7 last year. I have always thought it was best around Sept. 1st.

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

In Kansas just across the border it seems like things start early to mid july good and progressively gets better till around labor day then just slowly fades through fall depending on the fall weather..A couple years ago we had some wipers on top in Norton mid October with a mild fall.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.