9-6-06 Harlan report

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Went down and met a few friends (including IDA member Trevor Nation) at Harlan on Wednesday to do some fishing. Started at some of the big drops and jerked spoons and jigs for a few hours. Didn’t do too well, only got a couple drum, couple white bass, but I did have a nice wallleye smoke my jig/power grub. Lost him at the boat, but he was a keeper, easy (>18″). Went over to Sindt point and tried that briefly, but no luck. All the bait seems to be on the north side of the lake. We tried a bit more with pulling some shad raps and a few other lures, and only managed one white doing that. Went back to the drop, and couldn’t manage another fish that night.

There were people catching fish trolling some cranks, but there was one boat near us on the drop that was just raking them in. With two guys in the boat, they had at least one fish in the boat at all times for a couple hours. I don’t know if we were using the wrong spoon, on the wrong part of the drop, or what, but we sure couldn’t keep up with them at all. A guy at the boat ramp told me that he knew a guy that was there Tuesday and he had 7 master angler walleyes, so who knows how true that was. There are days at that lake, though, that will make me believe that. Don’t know when I’ll make it down there again, but I wouldn’t mind it being sooner rather than later, even though we didn’t do that well.

fishhunter44

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Thanks for the report fishhunter44!! Three years ago I wouldn’t have cared if they drained that lake down to nothing. But the last two years we have always done pretty good down there. This spring we trolled the channel from coyote canyon to tipover and did pretty good. It’s never what you expect down there.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.