Hardcore musky guy ??????

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

1 day to fish

Moderate stain water shallow lake

Rock bars and crap weeds, a little cabbage here and there

Goal – raise and hook up on 1 very mature musky and hand the rod and off to someone to land it.

Full moon- July 13 major is 12:07 to 2:07. Will be on water 11:30-2:30 at a weed edge point that drops 6fow to 14fow. Lake max depth is 19fow

What are you throwing?????

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

How many guys are in the boat to try different stuff and how pressured is the lake?

Topwater: Big Mama Obnoxious B
    Jerk: Phantom
    Cowgirl: Solid black skirt with hackle and rubber, gold #12 blades BURN baby BURN

Good luck.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

the biggest bucktail that you can handle burning fast for 3 hours with the rod/reel combo that you have available. you’re trying to trigger an aggressive strike during a major. no need to mess around.

put your boat 1/2 cast from weed edge so that you cover some across the tops but also some outside.

BrianF

Black/black bucktail. Something like a stagger. As Michael suggests, burn that thing until your arms are themselves burning. As my boat partner is fond of saying, ‘lazy retrieve, lazy follows’. Musky fishing has to be painful to get the full experience.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

How many guys are in the boat to try different stuff and how pressured is the lake?

Topwater: Big Mama Obnoxious B
    Jerk: Phantom
    Cowgirl: Solid black skirt with hackle and rubber, gold #12 blades

Good luck.

400 acre ish lake, moderate pressure

1 guy – 1 rod – 1 bait

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

For me it would be a glide bait. Probably a Phantom or a hellhound. Wish I had the big rods and baits with me last weekend. Had several nice Musky try and get the smaller fish we had hooked. Had a nice mid 40’s fish grab a small bass I was reeling in several times. Each time it would drop it I’d let the bass thrash around for a few seconds and the ski would grab it again. The last time it either got hooked or held onto it for a fair amount of time till it broke me off. 6lb test – Didn’t have much of a chance.

catmando
    wis

Frog-colored Hawg Wobbler. side pop it once to wake them up then normal gurgling retrieve.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

FYI – my results

Threw a black/gold /orange jerk bait. Boated 3 little 36” ish in less than 2 hours

CaptainMusky

That is pretty good Randy! One year I want to brave the elements on Mille Lacs in November for a chance at a true beast. Each year there are several behemoths caught out there.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Threw a black/gold /orange jerk bait. Boated 3 little 36” ish in less than 2 hours

I’d call that darn good for just 2 hours.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

I’d call that darn good for just 2 hours.

I’m a firm believer in major/minor times and the right location

R Petersen

Lures & live bait need to be at least 12 to 16″ long. Trolled at 3 to 7 mph.

Works in edges of deep water. Boring But very productive.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.