Handlining with Koonce on Pool 9

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The crew and I are out with Koonce on Pool 9 today. The weather is crappy but the bite is actually pretty darn good! Koonce says anyone can catch fish handlining but he’s clearly holding back some of his secrets because he’s catching much bigger fish than me. whistling

Rapala J7’s have been the best baits by far.

Attachments:
    1. 20150421_093823.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

SO what’s the trick since my handline reel just showed up the other day???

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

SO what’s the trick since my handline reel just showed up the other day???

Dave promises all tricks will be revealed to me by the end of the day. This footage will air this coming Sunday so if you just got a handlining reel you’re likely going to want to check out the show.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’m really looking forward to seeing this show — the handlining thing is a bit of a mystery to me as well!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m really looking forward to seeing this show — the handlining thing is a bit of a mystery to me as well!

We’ll it is certainly proving to be very effective. We’ve caught the heck out of the fish on a day when I would expect a very slow bite due to the rapidly dropping water temps. It didn’t take long to get a couple limits in the boat, that’s for sure.

Attachments:
    1. 20150421_123520.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

That’s excellent!

There’s no way i’m laying around the house this sunday morning though; so i’ll be happy to see it on the Tube shortly after!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Finesse wise, isnt handling one step above dynamite? mrgreen

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Hey I recognize that location… :whistling

Can’t wait to watch a show on my home turf! toast

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I will have to watch the show or else see if Koonce will take me out with him sometime. Was fishing Detroit R. last week and lots of handliners over there. Of course supposedly that is where it was invented because of the current. It looks very interesting.
    James what makes you think Dave is holding out on you. Past experience maybe? whistling

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

James what makes you think Dave is holding out on you. Past experience maybe? whistling

Geez…don’t you know the show host is always supposed to catch the most and biggest fish? Haven’t you watch Babe for the last 40 years?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Awesome, thought that would make a cool show ever since going with Dave.

Stan Jenson
    sw wisconsin

Glad to see you make it down this way James. I can’t wait to see the show on Sunday.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>john23 wrote:</div>

It didn’t take long to get a couple limits in the boat, that’s for sure.

let them go, so they can grow!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

So now keeping a couple limits of 16″ – 20″ males is frowned upon? I’m a big proponent of selective harvest, and forgive me if I sound harsh here, but the release everything no matter what mentality is wearing thin with me. Keeping fish for consumption, while keeping the health of the fishery in mind, is an important part of our sport.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

The walleye I ate for supper last night tasted delicious… As did the one I ate last week, and hopefully so will the one I eat next week! When walleye is my favorite food (and can be extremely healthy when prepared right), and fishing for them is my favorite past time, why not put 2 and 2 together and eat them about once a week?

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Looking foward to seeing the show. Exciting to to be able to see this technique put into action. Thanks for sharing with us.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

So now keeping a couple limits of 16″ – 20″ males is frowned upon? I’m a big proponent of selective harvest, and forgive me if I sound harsh here, but the release everything no matter what mentality is wearing thin with me. Keeping fish for consumption, while keeping the health of the fishery in mind, is an important part of our sport.

X2!!!!
    I have a very sore tongue from biting it for the last several days. Fish are good to eat, they are managed to be harvested, and if people want to keep a big fish, that is their right!!

Now I feel a little better! smash flame

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m convinced there is a dark time for fisherpeople (not JoeMX in particular) between the end of their ice season and the start of soft water where their primary focus is complaining anonymously online about random things. The only cure I’ve found is for Opener to come around and said people are reminded of the joys of being out there and wetting a line. To this I would just remind everyone there are PLENTY of fishing opportunities (P4, Rainy River, Late Ice/Early Softwater Panfishing) during this dark time and to continune to pursue your passion, and thus curing yourself of the online (b)itch. toast yay peace waytogo

JoeMX1825
    MN

Meant for a smiley emoticon instead of an explanation point, wow folks are a bit tense before opener…as long as you’re not netting spawning fish after ice out, I have no issues with folks keeping fish )

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Meant for a smiley emoticon instead of an explanation point, wow folks are a bit tense before opener…as long as you’re not netting spawning fish after ice out, I have no issues with folks keeping fish )

LMAO! Gotta laugh! Its that time of year and we will survive and forgive and forget and remember the good times.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Lol good stuff, and totally agree with this statement. 2 and half weeks to goooo…

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I’m praying that Dave brings some walleye with him this May when he makes his annual trip to Mille Lacs!! I’m dying for a meal of walleye!

Duke M

I heard a little song on the ice one day about a month and a half ago. “I love fishes cuz their so delicious.” “I love fishes cuz their so nutritious.” Sung by a guy that releases the majority of the fish he catches.

The tug is the drug.

Duke

WarEagle

Where do I get a handling reel and what is all of the equipment needed to do this?

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Another new (to me) method??? Really! I’m still getting trolling gear set up. Haven’t collected enough rippin raps yet. Nor have I made it back up to the rivers of Green Bay… I’m so behind. I’d like to put the blame on James and crew, but I sure love the learning curve of everything the show shares!!! Can’t wait to see the episode.

Duke M

WarEagle, the closest source I know of would be. http://www.riverwalleyes.com
    Hutch would be able to get you all of the equipment, and perhaps more importantly, you could hire him to take you out on the water. Having someone shorten your learning curve can save you time, money, and frustration. I was lucky, I got Koonced.

Duke
    The tug is the drug.

wicathunter11
    Ferryville WI

Can’t wait to see the show! Sounds like a lot of walleye b.l.t.’s! Yum!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

For the record, I’m all for keeping the eaters now and again. But I know James already knew that. grin

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

What a freek’n B~L~A~S~T !!! toast

James and Pat were a hoot to share the boat with… waytogo

James it has been to long since we shared a boat together… I know I know.. were were on the ice together this year for a couple outings but it’s just not the same… Sharing old memories in the boat this past week … just made everything right in the world !!

I will give you you and your team a shout when I get on those handlining flatheads again… That is an outing you will not forget !!

I look forward to seeing the show… that crew of yours can even make this caveman look good !!! hahaha peace

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

This may be a bit of a ridiculous question, but how in the heck did you get such calm water there in the background? @ “April 21, 2015 at 11:34 am ” I was on pool 7 and it was gale force winds and ice balls. We made a run up to the dam in an attempt to take a break from the winds for awhile. Just couldn’t escape it

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.