Hand made spearing decoys

• Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Tried a new to me activity a couple weeks back. Drove up to Minnesota, cut a 2×3 foot hole in the ice and tried my hand at spearing Northern Pike. I used a spear that I made myself and a decoy that I made from scratch. Enjoyed this so much, I figured I needed to make myself a few more decoys.
    All of these have orange bellies except the pin/white one. The belly on that one is pink to go with the pink/white color scheme. I’m hoping the fish will approve of my efforts. Probably won’t make up to spear again till next season so the paint is going to have plenty of time to cure. grin

Attachments:
    1. JAN_24_2019.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

This set will need a bit more work before they’re ready for the water.

Attachments:
    1. 20190124_174023.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

How’d they work?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Those are pretty nice dekes for the first ones. waytogo waytogo

Dave maze
    Isanti

Let’s see that spear ya made while your at it!

Timmy

Very nice! I am a spearchucker from way back. And use mostly homemade stuff as well. Thanks for sharing.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Actually the painted set above is my second effort. The only water they have seen is my bathtub. My first decoy has a simple yet effective paint job. This is the decoy I used during my spearing trip.

Attachments:
    1. spear_decoy.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

How’d they work?

I was pleased with my first effort. I was over 7-8 foot of water and the decoy brought in several Northerns. I was able to spear most of those that came in. Did have to give a few of them a “pass” due to the size restrictions.
    Here is a short video of the first fish I have ever speared.
    Spear shot 001

if the link does not work, go to YouTube and search for “spear shot 001” for my video
    (BK edit)

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Let’s see that spear ya made while your at it!

I did purchase a laser cut blank for the head. Added a shaft and encased the upper half in a Black Ash tapered wood handle. Then spent a couple hours with a file putting a nice radius on the tines. The points and barbs are now “sticky sharp”. I’m a retired tool shop machinist, so this was right up my alley.

Attachments:
    1. spear-guard.jpg

2. spear-points.jpg

3. complete-spear.jpg

Dave maze
    Isanti

Nice! I made a spear this year. I turned it on my mini lathe and brazed the times and barbs. I used a pool cue for the handle. It’s still a virgin tho. Hoping to get out after this cold spell.

Attachments:
    1. 2893.jpeg

Dave maze
    Isanti

Barbs

Attachments:
    1. 2897.jpeg

Dave maze
    Isanti
    Attachments:
    1. 2895.jpeg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

What material did you use for the tines? Have you weighed your spear? Looks nice.

Dave maze
    Isanti

W1. It’s 7 lbs. Thanks, the bluing is a little uneven on the tines. I think there was some leftover flap wheel material on it. I’ll have to re do that if it starts to rust.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice shot HDave! Right in the save the meat spot!

I was going to mention that dad, although had speared fish over other colors claimed white and red the best.

404 ERROR
    MN

Looks great! I got into spearing probably 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. But once having children, I had to cut back on ice time and spearing took a back seat…Once my kids are older, I’ll dust off the spear, saw and decoys and see what I come up with. I have a really nice Brainerd spear from the late 60’s- early 70’s that works awesome.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I was going to mention that dad, although had speared fish over other colors claimed white and red the best.

my opinion too!!!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

Actually the painted set above is my second effort. The only water they have seen is my bathtub. My first decoy has a simple yet effective paint job. This is the decoy I used during my spearing trip.

still pretty good!!!!!! just outta curiosity, i dont see an eye on top of the decoy, how did you hand it in the water.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

just outta curiosity, i dont see an eye on top of the decoy, how did you hand it in the water.

I train them to swim by themselves, no string needed.

Good eye, (see what I did there smirk ) I have yet to complete that final step in the process. I’ll throw them in the bathtub or large cooler. Check the sink angle (head slightly down) and swim action as they freefall. Adjust the lead as needed, should be OK, but will still check each one because of wood density variances. Then I’ll determine the location for the screw eye such that when suspended the decoy will hang level.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Thanks Brian,
    I was pleased that most of my hits were right on. One of the fish was hit in the right spot but on the out side tine, another time, the fish turned and the spear got him, but the tines were lined up parallel to the spine. That one wasn’t getting away.

I do plan to paint another red and white, in of the next batch. Also thinking of using the “Wonder Bread” pattern.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    just outta curiosity, i dont see an eye on top of the decoy, how did you hand it in the water.

I train them to swim by themselves, no string needed.

Good eye, (see what I did there smirk ) I have yet to complete that final step in the process. I’ll throw them in the bathtub or large cooler. Check the sink angle (head slightly down) and swim action as they freefall. Adjust the lead as needed, should be OK, but will still check each one because of wood density variances. Then I’ll determine the location for the screw eye such that when suspended the decoy will hang level.

jester remote control. rotflol

Gotcha! waytogo

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.