Half price Costas

• stevenoak

Just got West Marine sale e mail. 6 models of $199.00 Costas for $99.00. After several years I’m done with Costa since sold to Luxottica. Last pair feels like my head is in a metal clamp after 4 hours. They had a warranty issue with the old padding, have changed to some real crap. Next pair will be Bajio or Smiths. Not sure if sale models have new or old cushion pads. West marine usually has big sunglass sale around this time of year.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve had costa fantail for 5 seasons now, have not ever had an issue. The nose pieces falling off do seem to be a relatively frequent issue though, as others have complained about it. I have not experienced it.

I got mine for half price too, but that is the normal price on amazon. I went to a retail store to try some on in person before I bought mine so see which model fit the best, which lenses were preferred, etc. I gave the retailer the option to price match the online price, and they did not, so that was the end of my business there.

AK Guy

Just got West Marine sale e mail. 6 models of $199.00 Costas for $99.00. After several years I’m done with Costa since sold to Luxottica. Last pair feels like my head is in a metal clamp after 4 hours. They had a warranty issue with the old padding, have changed to some real crap. Next pair will be Bajio or Smiths. Not sure if sale models have new or old cushion pads. West marine usually has big sunglass sale around this time of year.

Thanks for bringing up the big corporate buyout of Costas. I’ve been wearing and recommending them for over 30 years. But, based on your comments, and research online, Costas is no longer Costas on many levels.

stevenoak

From what I read Bajio was started by Costa employees, that didn’t like the way Costa was going after the buyout. The story is on their website. They employed new technology Costa wouldn’t use due to increased costs. And they are made in the USA. as are Smiths.
    5-year-old glasses are probably pre buy out. My fishing buddy is an Optometrist. He says different peoples sweat make up seem to make a difference. Or wearing them for long periods of time. Most brick-and-mortar stores don’t have 50% to give unless it’s a special purchase. But are helpful when you have a problem.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve had a pair of costas for a few years and pretty underwhelmed by them. Just got some RLVNT’s and they are far better imo, and made in MN which is a bonus. Scheel’s had them 50% off for a Black Friday sale recently as well, so I’d keep an eye out for another sale on them.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

The Costa sale at West Marine is only the plastic lens ones, bummer because I was looking for a G model

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.