What Should I Plant?

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’ve got a few winter wheat plots that were frozen out last winter. Looking to plant in late-July, early August. I was happy with the WW, especially because you just had to let it head-out the following year, throw fertilizer, then till under to re-plant.

What are the ins/outs of Oats. Plant every year? Cheaper? Just as effective in terms of draw?

I’m planting these plots in a corn/beans rich area, so it’s always tough to get deer in them. Both plots are a good sun/shade mix, with one of them having a bit more sun than the other.

General thoughts?

Joel

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

How big of a plot?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Clover is always a good draw year around and lasts up to 5 years. Plant it in early fall with a cover crop of winter rye. The rye will shade out weeds until the clover gets going, then it dies off the next summer and you have a fairly weed free clover plot for 3-5 years. Clover also grows well in semi shaded areas. I get a ton of pictures of deer feeding on clover all summer and well into fall

gobbler
    Central, MN

If you don’t mind planting again next year, Brassicas & Winter Bulbs/Sugar Beets.

Otherwise I would go with what Sticker said. You can’t go wrong with Clover

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

I will be planting rye for a great late season plot. In the same areas I will also be planting brassica’s for a great mid to late October bowhunting plot. With our deer density’s the brassicas will be demolished by late October unless you are planting acre’s of it. The rye will keep them around all winter!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I like the idea of clover with the rye, possibly more winter wheat. It’s cheap and I like the idea of perennial plots. Annuals give you a chance to start-over, but I have a fair amount of plots where there’s little “buy-in”. I simply don’t have deer pound it down to stalks, even and especially when it looks like a salad bar.

Thanks for all the help and advice!!!

Joel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.