Food Plot Mixes

• gregh
    s.e. minn

Give Jason Domeyer(sp?)a call at Cannon River Kennels in Randolph,MN. He trained my lab and did an excellent job.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

You are right. There are a ton of them out there.

My sister did a lot of research and decided on Highpoint Labradors. She has been very happy with her pup.

One thing she did was network with the folks at the Minnesota Pointing Labrador Club and they helped her make her decision.

I went to a trial this spring and was amazed to see the tight community of pointing lab handlers.

If you are looking for a reference, my sister would love to help. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Sully

Bob Bowman
    MN

Look no further. Pete Fischer in Avon has some great dogs. I got my last dog from him and Bucky was on of the best I have had the chance to hit the field with.

FISCHERSKENNELS.COM

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Contact David Mork at Sauk River Pointing Labs. We just picked up our new pup from there this week. I also have a 3 year old out of a different PL breeder (not in MN). As a member of the MN Pointing Lab club I can tell you I have seen multiple dogs out of Sauk River that are very nice, along with many others out of other breeders.

If your looking for more info go the MPLC site…..members are very willing to offer info, best bet is to try to call and speak with some of them. Or you could attend one of the monthly meetings and possibly join the club. Meeting are usually held in the Twin Cities and we have training days throughout the year. I may be setting up a training day for the next month up towards Zimmerman.

Also, there are some APLA tests this fall (closest being in Iowa) that would be worth going to to watch some dogs run. Very good place to find out more!!!

Make sure you do your research!

You can email me at [email protected] if you have any additional questions.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

I second Jbob. His son does excellent work with them dogs.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I guess I would have to agree with Top Shelf

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

With seed orders approaching soon, lets here what everybody is thinking for mixtures this year. I am itching to get farming again and just bought my frost seed for the clover plots. (20% Durana, 20% Ladino, 20% Alsike, 20% Medium red, and 20% Sweet Red)

For the cost I paid for this mix at under $3/lb, I think I am going do a little more custom mixing this year than planned.

I am working up a perrenial mix to price up and also a brassica mix to price up for spring and fall planting. Lets hear some advice of what to add

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Quote:

For the cost I paid for this mix at under $3/lb, I think I am going do a little more custom mixing this year than planned.

I have really gotten into this the last several years. For me one of the biggest benefits I’ve seen is the capacity to make mixes where all species draw at similar or opposite time frames. I can get my early/mid/late season plots to congregate deer in small areas in the large plots I have. Someone could easily make mixes so you have differing small plots drawing deer at different times so you are not over hunting a specific portion of your property throughout bow season. Not to mention if you can find a place that has most of your varieties, you will save a lot of money even when you consider shipping and partial bag surplus costs.

Sounds like you have a great mix of clovers! You have one I would like to add to mine over the next few over-seedings (Durana). I started my clover plot with New Zealand White, White Dutch, Medium Red, and Berseem. Nice even mix of high protein, high browse pressure, high drought resistance. Picked mine to serve one purpose per variety to ensure I have something growing well through the year regardless of condition.

For other perrenials I only have alfalfa right now. Around here it is a large attractant as there are not many other sources of alfalfa available. I have been trying to get ahold of a few other perrenials the last few seasons, but its been hard finding the ones I’m looking for. One I do use (its more of a biennial than perrenial) is chicory. I plant a spring brassica and fall brassica mix. In my spring mix I use chicory, rapeseed, and kale. The chicory can grow as long as 4-5 years in its optimal conditions, but I have seen and heard it being more of a prolific biennial around these parts. Its regrows after cutting, comes back strong in spring, and the deer smack it hard. My fall brassica mix is Purple Top Turnips and Tillage Raddishes, this is geared as more of a late season plot (though it sees good use on the greens at specific times) the bulbs get pounded late in the season. I’ve tried mixing sugar beets with this mix, but it seems the other two really out compete the beets as they require much longer growth season, more space between plants, and have low vigor when competing against weeds and regrowth.

Good luck and have fun making your mixes. I find it to be very rewarding researching what I want, and putting it to the test. Hopefully I left some helpful information here in regards to your specific post

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

I am glad you mentioned the word sugar beets. Please comment on what you think of this scenario.

Since Sugarbeets have the long growing season against other Brassicas that are ten times quicker and tougher, what would happen if I planted the beets in amongst my perennial plots?

My thoughts were, on year 1 I think the beets could compete with the clover, while the clover would help tame the weeds and the two could take the same herbicide if needed. I would still include a chicory in there as well as another leafy plant as well. I wouldnt expect a whole lot out of the clover for year #1 as it will most likely get shaded out some, but I love the idea of mixing a perrenial into a plot of beets.

Anybody think it will work? Beets, Clover and Chicory? What rate?

I have a few good sources for individual seed if you need some ideas.

Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.