Pennington Trophy Radishes

• rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

2,4-D will work and not kill grass
    you might need to retreat but it will work and wont hurt the grass.
    tractor supply or Fleet Farm both have it

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

I agree with the 2-4-D. It will work. Remember though, whatever you do with the dead ivy, it can still give you the rash. Especially if you burn it, it wil get in your lungs. Remember too, the roots contain the poison. Poison Ivy found in Pyramids of the Pharohs still could give the rash.
    Good luck.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Poison Ivy found in Pyramids of the Pharohs still could give the rash.

You’ve fished with Catten Addict too??

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Quote:

Poison Ivy found in Pyramids of the Pharohs still could give the rash.

You’ve fished with Catten Addict too??

I heard that pesky rash he gets is contagious…and keeps coming back every couple months.

tomliver
    Almost North of 8

Good luck with the poison ivy! I sprayed round up vegetation killer on the ivy at the cabin with no result! Poison Ivy has oily leaves and most “weed and vegetation killers” have little effect on it, the chemical runs off the leaves like water separating from oil.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Hire a bunch of irritating teenagers to dig it all out!

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Thanks for the info I didnt know the roots could give the rash as well, that sucks, I was planning on using a disc to turn the soil and expose the roots and let mother nature kill it off on part of the yard. might have to rethink that. The round up poison ivy killer does work, however you kill a good sized area, everything is dead, then a week later you see more ivy popping up through the dead stuff. really starting to burn my

Ill give the product you suggested a try.

CA

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Two things since the leaf is oily add soap to your mixture to cut through the oil. Another way to apply the roundup is to use a paint brush you will have more controll this way and the brush will help to get through the oil.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

No personal experience with these. But I have researched them and they will be in my fall plots for testing

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

I have not planted these specifically, but I plant tillage radishes and will be planting them again this year. From the pictures and info I quickly glanced through these trophy radishes seem very similar (If they aren’t exactly the same) to the tillage radishes I use. I love them. The deer absolutely smoke these on my one property here in south central/western MN. They get used on my other property later in the season, but on my river bottom land the deer have the tops cleaned off of every single plant by the end of september. They return in the late season and dig the bulbs up along with the turnips. If you are debating on whether or not to plant them my advice would be a big They are used heavily on both my properties in the late season, and heavily on my river bottom land in the early season as well as late.

I plant mine mixed in with Purple Top Turnips as their requirements are very similar. I plant mine the first weekend in August. I broad cast them on worked up soil and lightly drag them in. I also prefer to roll packed them, but is not manitory. I would say they are just as easy to grow as turnips, chicory, kale, and rapeseed.

Here is a link to my plots last year:

http://www.idohunting.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=habitat&Number=658073&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

About half way down the thread there are some pics of the radish/turnip plots I have as well as a bit I wrote up about my personal opinion on optimizing late season usage of plots that produce bulbs. Good Luck and hope some of this helped

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.