What to plant

• Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I just read Bob’s post on winter wheat, might already have my answer but I’ll toss this out anyway. Here is my artist rendition of what my plot looks like.

Not so good corn (no more cheaping out, buying rr corn next year….) on the left and on the top.

The middle strip is good corn (spent a lot of time weeding that thing)

On the right is rape, just planted last night!

between the two slits of corn is my ???? I’m thinking winter wheat after reading that post, but I’m open to suggestions. I cut and burned it down with roundup last week. Just trying to figure out what i should put in there. I have turnip seed left that i used last fall, and more rape seed, just trying to get a smorgasbord for muzzle loader season out there.

Jami

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Just a suggestion Jami.

I would not go with WW there and try something like, a Pea or Oat there with out knowing the entire lay out. Here is the reason why. Unelss the corn is a visual block, next year or perhaps this year if the corns sucks that bad. I would plant the outer part where the corn currently is with WW kind of like BOB did in his picture you are referencing. It helps as a barrier for weed control but also keeps those deer near the fringes (again not totally knowing your layout) for late season bow action. Just and idea!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I did not read the ML part, but I would still think more “into the future” for this Plotas Bobss mentioned WW is good for a number of years!!

If you have left over Turnips I would also at least spread a lil of that in the Rape.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Jami, How big of an area are you going to plant?

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

the chunk in question is about 1/3 to 1/2 acre. I use the corn on the edges as a block, there is a gravel road on the left side. The deer come from the tree farm across that gravel road to my side.

along that gravel road is all fields, people like to “putt” down that road and watch the deer in the fields. I’ve been planting trees/bushes along that road to block their view, but that will take a couple more years to fill completely in.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

A couple of things to think about. where The corn field is on your left you could frost seed a 12’strip of cavinrock switchgrass as your border. this will grow over 5′ tall and will be a great visual barrier. I still like the idea of maybe 1/2 ww and 1/2 oats planted the last week of august. or peas as suggested by Rob, I have planted cavinrock switchgrass as borders on all of my farm and can now walk within 20 yards of them when entering and leaving my stand locations without being detected (as long as the wind is right)

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

As far as the plot goes this year, you could really try about anything; if you are looking to get out and get some thing done in the near future. Diversity in my opinion, and experience, has been a great key to successfully attracting animals to the property. If you already have chicory, then a cereal grain would be a great accompaniment to that plot.

Winter Wheat is a great option for a cereal grain, especially over the course of several years. This is because Winter Wheat has a higher composition of Gluten than other species of wheat. Gluten is a composition of two different proteins and makes up a majority of the individual plant/seeds composition (>< 75%). Furthermore, Winter Wheat has a higher tolerance for colder temperatures than other ‘general’ wheat species. Normally winter wheats are planted in the early fall and hold their integrity throughout winter utilizing dormancy to mature mid summer of the following year. Being that nearly 80% of a deers antler is comprised of protein, winter wheat is the end all to early emergence and great nutrient source in early spring (in my opinion, coupled with clovers).

As cold temperatures prevail in the northern midwest and the initial rut is slowing, deer begin to seek out carbohydrates. This is a large part of the explanation to why deer seek out Brassica species. These species begin to die off in the freezing range and their on going metabolism halts progessively to the point that vast amounts of sugars are released within the plant. These sugars are only simple carbohydrates however, and complex carbohydrates come from more complex proteins found in sources such as soybeans and corn (Also Winter Wheat in its maturity, which you will most likely not reach this year). Other sources of simple (and some complex) carbohydrates are found in Turnips, Sugar Beets, Radishes, and Kale.

You said that you have one good strip of corn, and one assumed good plot of chicory; you have a mid to late season muzzleloader/harvest plot going. With the road being so close as you said with minimal visual barrier my first initiative would be to NOT plant something with its prime any where close to the gun season. I know this is not what you want to hear, but in my personal experience it only invites onward gawkers and the less moral to display their inhibitions. Personally, based on a one/this year plan, I would plant something like peas, forage soybeans, or lab-lab. These will begin to grow throughout August bringing deer into the pattern of crossing that road. We all know the struggles of growing these species in small, heavily grazered, plots. These species will be heavily grazed as they begin to grow and will never reach the maturity to supply late season carbohydrates. This will condition your animals to ‘coming aboard’ for the later ripening of your chicory while not exploiting the best feeding opportunity they have all season long during a time period prevalent to road pressure and poaching.

On a long term basis, with your trees already in place and growing, I would greatly consider Winter Wheat or Oats (any cereal grain easily re-seeded by mowing and discing) as a great option for this plot on the long term.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

WOW!!! thanks for the info fellas!

Now the next question is……

Where do you guys get your seeds from? I looked earlier in the year for rr corn/beans and one place would sell it to me by the ton….. You have any luck finding places that sell in smaller quantities?

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

I use werner seed out of Dundas/ Northfield for most of my brassicas,ww, oats etc, For my rr ready corn I suggest you join a local national turkey organization, they have some great deals on seed. I buy my soybeans from any local elevator but will be trialing some eagle forage beans next year.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Ritt,

You might also try getting hooked up with a local seed rep. My dad’s neighbor is one, he gets some amazing deals on year old product. So far the RR corn has been stellar for him 5 years running. Averaging about 65 bushel an acre for dry ground in SD. You always run the risk of year old stuff though.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

We buy all of our plot seed from Albert Lea Seed. They have a very large selection of species, you name it they got it. They will sell in any size quantity and ship it speedy delivery. The only thing we dont buy from them is our corn and soybeans. We buy year old stuff from a local dealer/rep for dirt cheap in comparison and have never had any problems.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.