Food Plot question…

• DANPEARSON
    Central WI

I have about less than a half an acre that I plan on planting here shortly. My question is can I mix both a perennial mix with an annual mix. I am having a tough time deciding on whether to plant my fall plot in a perennial (clover base) or the annual (turnips and rape). Was wondering if anyone ever tried mixing these and if so what kind of results did you get?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Drelan, I have tried this on a similar size plot. The Turnips and Rape grew so good I think it drowned out the Clover and Chicory I planted. Yes the deer ate the Clover and Chicory that Fall and absolutely the Rape and Turnips but the following Spring only a very small portion of Clover and Chicory came back, but not worth planting IMO.

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Thanks Rob…I was leaning toward the rape and turnips since I already have an area with clover.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

If you already have an area with Clover on the same piece of property I would definitely go with the Rape & Turnips. Clover provides a lot of tonnage when it establishes. This Rape & Turnip seed combonation amazes me every year, deer eat it from about 40 days on but when it is time, they absolutely it.

lick

Yep Biologic Maximum

If you plant it they will come

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Mixing them will work(double cross from whitetail instatute&trophy clover from antler king) I have seen both in action and also made my own mixes, works great if the dry weather and heat lastinto fall by shading the clover allowing it to survive, the key is mix rate, never more than 10% brassicas

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

the key is mix rate, never more than 10% brassicas

Good point QDM.

I like to go a lil heavy on the barrasicas and the mix I did was not something like White Cross it was my own blend/concoction.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.