Fall planting dates for brassicas?

• coppertop
    Central MN

So up to this point I had sprayed round-up, waited a few weeks and finally limed and tilled it up last week. I’m hoping not to have to till again but just spot spray round -up and plant. Just wondering what sort of a time slot do I have to get my plot planted. And when is a good time to spread my high nitrogen fertilizer (at planting? after it starts to sprout?) My 2 attempts prior with other plots have been less than stellar. So I hope my liming and choice of forage will finally work. This is my first fall planting. Thanks in advance, Randy

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

I think you can plant anytime now. I see your in central mn. I have started to plant my brassicas earlier than I used to. Make sure you till your nitrogen in before planting. If you have time do a soil test to determine what you really need for fertilizer. I have been guilty of not soil testing only to find out that i spent alot of money on fertilizer that i didn’t need good luck on your fall plot!

coppertop
    Central MN

Thanks Bobs!!! I was hoping to hear from you. I did in fact have a test done to this plot last year and am hoping it’s safe to go off of that.

lick

I’m putting mine in this Friday 7-17

Anytime from now untill Aug 5 should work fine

I till and then spread pelletized lime and then till again then plant then water. Then I wait until sprouts are about 3-5 inches high then fertilize perferably during a rain

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I always try to plan so I plant on the front side of some good moisture/rain. Yes, I also till/disc in my fertilizer along with my lime. As far as planting, I’m also becoming a believer you can plant just about anytime before mid to begining of August. I think you at least should be planted 45 days before the first frost. Last year I planted a Barrasica plot on May 30 and I have never seen a better plot.

Good Luck this year Randy!

super_do
    St Michael, MN

We planted our brassicas the 1st weekend in August last year and the leaves were over my knees by opening day of archery! What’s kind of funny is, we planted some on two different pieces of land about 2 miles apart. One of the plots they were in on opening day and the other (which was near a good stand of oaks) they didn’t touch until the end of October.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Anytime now is good, as stated above you want to incorerate the nitro into the ground your it will dissapate. If you have time also fert it a few more times before fall with more nitrogen, I’m on my 4th fert now… my turnups are 36inchs tall with softballs sizes turnupsand the rape is pushing 40inchs tall, I have been ferting with 46-0~0 after the plants reach 12 iches. Good luck!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.