Items for Food plots

• muskybones

Dose any one know a place Near the Eau Clair Area Where I can rent items for to get a food plot going. I need things that can be pulled a four wheeler.

thanks for any help.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Up here any equipment rental store has some stuff. Give them a call and see if they have a pull behind disc. Otherwise depending on the size of the plot a Roto-Tiller might be an option. I believe Jami Ritter rented the whole shebang last year (Tractor, Disc, Drag and Seeder). Another option is People have them on Craigslist sometime for Rent!

Good Luck and let us know how planting goes!

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Chris is it pre broken ground? Meaning has it been tilled in past years? If not I strongly suggest renting a tractor with a tiller or your results will not be desirable the first round. Hours and hours it takes to get the surface broke up with a atv disc and really all your doing is createing what is known as a “hard pan”, a packed layer of dirt that neither roots or water can penetrate

muskybones

It was just dug up last year.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Where are you located? I got an atv disc you could use.. real cheap

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

A-1 Express in Eau Claire has a Sod-Buster you can rent that you can pull behind an ATV.

muskybones

I looked into that. but i wanted to see if i can get anything a little lower in price. And i live Near Eau Clair

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Also check the farm implements around you. Thats where I rented equipment from in the past. now i’m working on getting my own little setup. got the tractor, tiller, spreader, sprayer and homemade drag. would really like to find a 2 row planter for planting corn and beans.

And time, where does all the time go…..

Jami

whittsend

look at this if you have a few extra bucks.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_73272____SearchResults

A1 rental will have something that will work, but the pricetag for a day rental was high when I checked into it. Made it worth just buying my own. Bass Pro is $300 less for the same product vs Cabelas.

A couple years ago I decided to get the above disc for my garden and food plot and couldn’t be happier. It is heavy enough to break ground really well and built like a tank. Lighter discs and flip-discs have a harder time with less weight. No additional weight is needed with my disc. We actually had a tractor with a light disc in my food plot the year before I bought the ATV disc, and the tractor couldn’t get into the soil very well at all — although, that was partially due to some standing grass issues. The ATV disc actually did a better job of turning the ground.

It WILL till up living sod, but it does take multiple passes. If you kill everything off and mow to the ground first, you will be able to till up an awesome plot in no time. It does an amazing job on damp soils that were previously broken up.. One pass and done. If it was tilled last year, you should be good.

I’m not an expert and could be wrong, but I wouldn’t think you need to worry too much about “hard panning” your soil with an ATV/disc. From what I understand, that is more due to the weight of today’s big tractors. Could be wrong though.

lick

I 2nd the tractor/tiller combo it makes an awesome seed bed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.