Forage soybean failure

• qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

I planted a few small plots in Exceed this spring which is a mix of Lab Lab, forage soybeans, peas and corn, suprisingly the corn is doing well but the rest… not so much, very slow to emerge and the fact its unsprayable unless you want to sacrafice half the mix is making me regret planting, although there are definite signs that the deer are in there night and day. On the plus side the number 1 weed in the plot is Rape seed that didnt germinate til this spring not last fall, and number 2 is wheat that is already headed out. I spot sprayed all the really weedy areas and this farm is done til next spring, I believe the number 1 thing you can do to increase your odds at killing mature bucks is stay OUT til the time is right!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

I have tried some of the same things and have also had a dificult time controling the weeds. I have talked at length with brad from eagle seed co. They have several types of forage soybeans that are rr ready. I have talked with several people that absolutely swear by these beans! They will grow 4-5′ tall and will tolerate heavy browse from your deer herd and just keep growing. they also mature much later than a conventional soybean so you will have a lush green plot most of the fall.

stealthy
    Elgin, MN

Did you plant all of this stuff together or in different plots?

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Stealthy, it was all in a mix called Exceed. I will be planting the eagle seed next year, what I like is that dispite all their awsome folige potential and ability to compete with heavy browsing they are still seeing dry beans rates of 1600 to 1800 pounds per acre!! Thats a pile of beans!! I will be using them on my farms that consist mainly of soybeans in the ag feilds in hopes that when the feild beans turn the Eagle beans will put those bucks in my lap!! Any of you who have hunted vast soybean feilds know what I mean, when the hole feild go yellow and you have 1 small green spot the deer will pile in the well before dark even if its way out in the middle of the feild!!

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I planted some forage soybeans last year in a mix, and they stayed green well into Oct. I was a little disappointed in the pods themselves on the plants, they ended up alot smaller then regular soybeans.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

I planted some forage soybeans last year in a mix, and they stayed green well into Oct. I was a little disappointed in the pods themselves on the plants, they ended up alot smaller then regular soybeans.

This is the only reason i have not planted the eagle beans so far. when I do plant them I am going to mix 50% of rr conventional soybeans with the eagle seed and hope for both good greens in late season and also good bushels per acre.

whittsend

Quote:

Quote:

This is the only reason i have not planted the eagle beans so far. when I do plant them I am going to mix 50% of rr conventional soybeans with the eagle seed and hope for both good greens in late season and also good bushels per acre.

Good idea, let us know how that works out.

What is the cost of the rr forage beans? I bought 50 lbs of rr (regular) soybeans this year for around $50… Are forage beans much more expensive?

Thanks!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What is the cost of the rr forage beans? I bought 50 lbs of rr (regular) soybeans this year for around $50… Are forage beans much more expensive?

Thanks!

The prices I have seen posted on here are higher than what i have been quoted. I will call Brad from eagle and check prices and post them. I have been paying 45.00 per bag for my rr beans. if you know a farmer that plants rr beans it may be a good idea to get some from his combine this fall, Just don’t tell monsanto

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!

The prices I have seen posted on here are higher than what i have been quoted. I will call Brad from eagle and check prices and post them. I have been paying 45.00 per bag for my rr beans. if you know a farmer that plants rr beans it may be a good idea to get some from his combine this fall, Just don’t tell monsanto

I called eagle and got ahold of jeff. Here are the prices as quoted by Jeff. 63.50 for the large lad and big fellow. 73.50 for the habitat haven, mangers mix and game keeper. He said there is a dealer in mn. but the website doesn’t show it. I told him about the interest people have shown on this website and he told me we could probably “work something out” on a decent sized order for next year. I will keep you posted as to what I find out.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, that would be a good idea.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.